• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Manuf. Shocks

I'm running the RE MFG monotube shocks and they are so much better than my old DT3000's... One obvious difference is the DT's are Hydro and the RE's are Nitro, so the RE's in theory will be stiffer which I like as the DT's I felt were a little on the soft side.

The build quality is much better with the RE ones as well. The cheap price of the DT's pretty much reflects that, but they aren't bad for a cheap shock.

"Rubicon Manufacturing now offers a new twin tube shock absorber that provides all the great handling characteristics of our mono-tube shocks, in a more affordable package. These shocks are definitely not economy. We have included every possible feature to ensure that you won't find a better twin tube for any price. Shocks are tuned vehicle-specifically so you don't have to worry about a generic shock killing the ride quality of your new suspension system.
"
rubicontwintube.jpg

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=1623

talked to the dude at RE today. he did not tell me who really made them. he said the pistons were a little bigger than the DT3000 and the rods were a little better quality. he said they are gas charged

ordered them today. FREE SHIPPING AT RE till the 30th. So it was only like $175 shipped
went thru dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com

LouisianaZJ said:
talked to the dude at RE today. he did not tell me who really made them. he said the pistons were a little bigger than the DT3000 and the rods were a little better quality. he said they are gas charged

ordered them today. FREE SHIPPING AT RE till the 30th. So it was only like $175 shipped
for 4, right?

LouisianaZJ said:

i believe the monotubes are made by edelbrock.... but not sure about the twin tubes

shimmy said:
i believe the monotubes are made by edelbrock.... but not sure about the twin tubes
yup, heard they were the same as the IAS monotubes valved for RE

...but i looked that the cheaper edelbrock's and these definately did not look like those, the bottom welding is differnt so i guess we will see

ive always been pretty happy with RE quality so i doubt they would be total garbage shocks

havent used them yet, but just got them with my new kit, hope to get them on saturday. all iknow, is, they are made in mexico, and they are gas charged. who knows. got a great deal, so i'll run em and see how they work.

fawking RE. i ordered these things thru dpg offroad like 3 weeks ago, dirk called in the order that day. i finally decided to find out what was going on and i talked to him ealier this week. they have been back ordered and just shipped yesterday. estimated delivery is the end of this week. ill let you know how they work out on my sister's jeep

1 month delivery time :rolleyes: RE

BrettM said:
twin tube vs. mono-tube is very different

can anyone explain - or point to a good article - what exactly the differences are between monotube and twin tube (construction as well as performance wise)?

FINALLY arrived
the pics
REtwintubes_1776.jpg

shipped with a plastic string holding them together. hope they are not TOO stiff
they come with bar pins and hardware but they are not installed. the bushings are soft poly i think

REtwintubes_1775.jpg

made in messico??? might be trouble
REtwintubes_1772.jpg

large pistion, near 3/4"

REtwintubes_1773.jpg

top of can looks like better sealing than the DT3000's

REtwintubes_1774.jpg

bottom welds look "OK" on same quality a DT3000 but no bilstein quality

REtwintubes_1771.jpg

small ding in one shock. less than 1/16" deep dent. do you think it will cause problems? i dont feel like shipping these back to RE and waiting another week? 2 weeks? a month? :D
guess it will be OK

hope this helps. they will be installed this weekend

Seeing those pics reminded me of a question I had when I recieved my DT8000's - They didn't have a strap or string holding them closed, in fact I was able (with some force) to compress or extend them by hand and they stayed in position. All of my prior experience with shocks and struts has been that they will completely extend unless being held closed. Can anyone explain why mine aren't that way - is this common? Thanks!

kristoffers said:
Seeing those pics reminded me of a question I had when I recieved my DT8000's - They didn't have a strap or string holding them closed, in fact I was able (with some force) to compress or extend them by hand and they stayed in position. All of my prior experience with shocks and struts has been that they will completely extend unless being held closed. Can anyone explain why mine aren't that way - is this common? Thanks!
Some shocks come charged with nitrigen gas. the gas is under pressure, so the shocks extend themselves. a non-charged shock dosent have any pressure behind it, so it stays where you put it.

kristoffers said:
Seeing those pics reminded me of a question I had when I recieved my DT8000's - They didn't have a strap or string holding them closed, in fact I was able (with some force) to compress or extend them by hand and they stayed in position.

Like he said, DT's are hydro. RE MFG are nitro gas.

I have RE monotubes for their 3.5" lift, they are stiff but I like them and they flex like crazy. The ride is a little bouncy, and I do not have anything to compare them too, but they work well, and I like them alot. They are worth the money, and I would buy them again. Just my .02c

Back