• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Question

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I've been running quick disconnects on my battery terminals for a long time now, but need to redo some of the wiring. I had brought it to a shop and they replaced the positive lead from the battery to the starter, but put a standard terminal back on by accident. I got the old terminal back so now I just need a new ring end to crimp/solder onto the end of the power lead for the starter. The one I used to have was solid copper, but right now the only one I have large enough isn't. It's a crimp on with a 3/8 inside dia. ring thats a gray color, not sure of the metal, and a blue insulating sleave on it. I'm wondering if it's capable of handling the power draw. It looks like it would be, but I'm not sure since I don't have any specs for it. Does anyone know if it will hold up? TIA!

When you've got sounds like the 6 gage 3/8" ring lugs that I keep around for wiring stereos and aux power points. I don't use them for mains, I just don't feel like there's enough material there for high-current use.

You'll be better off going to a welding supply house and stocking up - they've got all the high-current connections you could possibly want. Usually, you can get lugs there in copper or silver-plated copper, as well as better wire for mains and REAL crimpers! The large-gage wire crimper that is "hammer-powered" goes for about $25, and will crimp anything up to a 4/0 if you can get in a good swing.

You may also want to check www.weldingsupply.com and stock up on goodies.

5-90

If you dont have a welding supply place locally...check with a boat shop..if they service and install electric trolling motors, they most likely have the terminals....if nothing else...take a piece of 3/8" copper tubing...smash one end flat....drill a hole in it...and after crimping the end as well as possible...fill the entire fitting with solder to be sure you have a killer connection.

MudDawg said:
If you dont have a welding supply place locally...check with a boat shop..if they service and install electric trolling motors, they most likely have the terminals....if nothing else...take a piece of 3/8" copper tubing...smash one end flat....drill a hole in it...and after crimping the end as well as possible...fill the entire fitting with solder to be sure you have a killer connection.

haha!

nice!!

good trick, i like that idea in a pinch!

Back