• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 swap

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
Searched, but didn't find the specifics. I'm swapping an 89 242 into my 99 in place of the stock 231. I think I've got the SYE issues handled, as well as the input shaft (changeing from 21 to 23 spline). What other parts will I need for the swap? I'm thinking I need a new shift gate with 5 positions instead of 4, but does it need to be 97+ or will any year work? How about the linkage -- can I adapt the 231 linkage, or do I need a 242 linkage? I figure somene out there knows the answers...

TIA

I replace my 231 in my 1990 with a 1989 242. I used the same linkage, just replace the shifter gate. As for the tc case switch I found the pigtail hidden on the drivers side of the transmission, had to make up an extension though. Got the connectors/pins from PepBoys. I still need to put a bulb in the full time indicator.

Good luck

Thanks George. Anyone know if there is a difference between pre and post 97 shift gates? It looks like I'm almost there...

Back