• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frozen??

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Got in my frozen Jeep today and turned the key, nothing happened, the battery is good, but no start?? I mud bogged it on the weekend and got it soaked from tires to dash board...now I cannot start the thing??? the brakes were frozen this morning, but now it rolls, so what am I looking at exactly to start it, hair dryer on it? WD40? I already tried the hammer and that did not work, any hints will be great!!!

Jeff

Jeff,
Even though it just happend to be one of the coldest nights so far -18*C, things just might need to thaw out a bit. In TO it's nice and sunny hopefully in Stoney you've got the same weather.
I'm sure you will be giving it a go after work. Maybe by then things will be better.
Have ya looked at the fuse panel? Did the water in the cab get high enough to get the panel wet?

Back in Alberta, a trick we used in the dead of winter with a frozen vehicle was just to place an electric heater beneath the motor/drivetrain. I used a cheap baseboard heater, placed it on a strip of cardboard so it would not be exposed to melted snow/ice, stuck it under the jeep and left it for a couple of hours. It used to put out enough heat and be protected enough from wind that it allowed everything under the hood to thaw. This worked in weather below -30 C. Just a thought. What really solved my freezing problems was moving to Victoria... :D
B.

hey guys....

Went home on my lunch and it started right up!! the Jeep thawed out and it works just fine. Since I borrowed a co-workers car, I put the Jeep in the garage where its heated, so when I go home tonight it should be alright..

and yes the water got to the fuse box, but not totally submerged..the carpets are frozen totally and your feet slide on them, the windows have like 1 inch of frost on the INSIDE!! ouch, winter wheeling can hurt...

thanks for all your help, hopefully it will dry out soon, as my shoes are stuck to the floor as well....talk about taking a beating!!!

lol, Jeff

Beej said:
Back in Alberta, a trick we used in the dead of winter with a frozen vehicle was just to place an electric heater beneath the motor/drivetrain. I used a cheap baseboard heater, placed it on a strip of cardboard so it would not be exposed to melted snow/ice, stuck it under the jeep and left it for a couple of hours. It used to put out enough heat and be protected enough from wind that it allowed everything under the hood to thaw. This worked in weather below -30 C. Just a thought. What really solved my freezing problems was moving to Victoria... :D
B.

Know any tricks for unfreezing the hatch lock? Seems driving up north got water into it and froze it pretty good. Not sure what to use on it to free it up. Same with my front windows. Seems a bit of water in it somewhere so it feezes them a bit. Once unstuck they work fine though. Gotta love Canadian winters!!
Thx for any suggestions.

Back