• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle wrap ? ? ?

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I hear a lot about axle wrap with lift blocks. I want an extra inch and I already have extended shackles. I'm at 4" in the back with my shackles and add a leaf. I want to put in solid steel 1" blocks and longer U-bolts. I run 31" with a dana 35 and factory 3.55's. I also have a trac-loc posi. Will I have a problem with axle wrap with those high of gears and 31's ? I know it won't get the quick amount of torque with those gears as a lot of these guy have with lower gears. I'm trying to get the inch for under a hundred bucks to if possible. I do some pretty heavy wheelin, but not hardcore crawlin.
Thanks !

WIth 2 inch blocks I have lots of axle wrap. One inch would not be as bad, and most people will say it will be acceptable.

When I changed the shackles it gave me a better angle towards the transmission. Putting in 1" blocks should give about the same I had
before but an inch less drive line. I'm hoping I'll be OK. I had no problem prior to the shackles. I should be at 5" in the rear, with the sag I have it should be just about right after I add an inch up front. I need to extend my bump stops a couple inches too. Here is where it sits now.4" Trail Master
Thanks !

Axle wrap AKA wheelhop begins when the tires load the suspension, then spin...the suspension unloads (hop) and the tires hook...load the suspension...and so on untill the tires either hook up and quit spinning entirely, or spin freely, or you let off the loud pedal (or break something).

Either control the wrap with an antirotation device or don't spin the tires. We use a ladder bar type a lot down here...I have a 1" block on mine...never had a problem with AW to speak of...it's funny...some rigs seem more prone than others.

Being in Florida you must spin the tires pretty frequently. Kind of sounds like if you go to high with blocks you begin to have problems. Also don't use the cast ones because of failure problems. Guess all I can do is try it and hope for the best. Sure wouldn't be the first re-mod if I had to re-do it later. Thanks Dawg !

I wouldn't believe this if somebody told me, but when I put in 1/2" blocks, I could feel the difference, the give of the springs instead of the instant forward motion, so I took them back out. It depends somewhat on the springs you have. Another option would also be to add another leaf. I'm trying to get .5"-1" more on mine right now, I already have the extended shackles and an AAL, so I'm debating too, but I've cut down some stock mains that I'm going to add in and see if I like it or not. I'm also going to put liners in to decrease the friction and hopefully counteract the additional stiffness from another leaf.

If you already have a 1.5" block I would not put in a larger block. In fact, I would never have put in the 1.5" block! I would say 1" is about the limit for blocks, and then only to level out a Jeep that isn't sitting quite right.

A big factor, though, is going to be your springs. With very soft springs almost any block is going to increase the amount of wheel hop you get. With very stiff springs a block is going to cause less problems.

boise49ers said:
I hear a lot about axle wrap with lift blocks. I want an extra inch and I already have extended shackles. I'm at 4" in the back with my shackles and add a leaf. I want to put in solid steel 1" blocks and longer U-bolts. I run 31" with a dana 35 and factory 3.55's. I also have a trac-loc posi. Will I have a problem with axle wrap with those high of gears and 31's ? I know it won't get the quick amount of torque with those gears as a lot of these guy have with lower gears. I'm trying to get the inch for under a hundred bucks to if possible. I do some pretty heavy wheelin, but not hardcore crawlin.
Thanks !

Why do you want to go with more lift for the 31's? I would rather have 4" and no block than 5" and a block. Even more so with the 31's. I ran 3" and 31's for a long time and was very happy.

Lincoln said:
Why do you want to go with more lift for the 31's? I would rather have 4" and no block than 5" and a block. Even more so with the 31's. I ran 3" and 31's for a long time and was very happy.
Agreed. Keep it as low as possible, cut sheetmetal where needed.

Back