• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise coming from steering..?

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone- Im getting a weird "clunking" noise coming from my steering, not all the time but usually when Im making a tight u-turn, left or right. I've the original owner of my 91Sport 5speed and I know this is a new noise. It doesnt sound good. Im not a huge mechanic but ive done most of the work on my Jeep myself, but it hasnt needed too much. I love the XJ! ANyway, a buddy said it would be the CV Joint? I dont really know what he meant, could anyone help clarify or diagnose the problem? THanks for ANY help, this board rules..

You don't have CV (constant velocity) joints, but you have their solid-axle equivalent: U-joints. These allow your front axleshafts to steer & propel the wheels at the same time. A bad CV sounds like a CLICK when turning, a bad Ujoint is more of a clunk. Steering stresses the angles a bit more, so if they're bad, they'll let you know. You also have Ujoints on the driveshafts, to allow them to flex up and down w/ wheel travel & propel at the same time. The driveshaft joints are easier to change. Quick check for really bad axle joints: Any shiny metal on the yolks or surrounding metal? RIDE KIRKWOOD!!!!!!!

Put your jeep in N and block the tires. Pull on the axle shafts and front drive shaft, and feel for play. If you have play replace the ujoint that is letting it move, if not move to step two in figuring out what is up.

I it is an occasional one clunck, that goes away until next time, check your track bar, that is what it was on my 90.

Back