• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Place other than a dealership to get a speedo gear?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Well the speedo gear I need has been on back order for like a month now and they have no idea when it is coming in. Is there anywhere else I can get a 39 tooth speedo gear for a 242? :D

Thanks,
Kevin

Most of the vendors that deal in gears and such can get you one. Drivetrain direct, Randy's Ring and Pinion etc.

I would give Rawbrown a shout from this board, maybe can get you one or point you in the right direction.

I got the one I needed from a speedometer calibration shop.

My dealer ship wanted 41, needless to say i am still not accurate with the speedometer

xxxj-va said:
Maybe post in the wanted section? I have a handful of speedometer gears but not that one. Someone must have it.

P

Which ones do you have? I'm kicking around the idea of making "solid" gears out of bronze or brass, and I need a set to measure (might as well write programmes for all of them, while I'm about it.)

5-90

I've got a 31 tooth that I bought for 9and change at a dealership a few years ago. It has the long stem, and it was bought for my 89 MJ. I never got around to putting it in. It's for running 33s on the 3.55s IIRC. Any use for it?

Sure! I'd eventually like to get one of each, and cover all years (NP231, NP242, and probably NP207/209/229 as well) so I can measure them.

Are you willing to part with it permanently, or do you only want me to borrow it for a while? I can cover shipping either way/both ways. This shouldn't end up a "sacrificial" animal - I'm just looking for measurements, not modifications.

5-90

5-90 said:
Which ones do you have? I'm kicking around the idea of making "solid" gears out of bronze or brass, and I need a set to measure (might as well write programmes for all of them, while I'm about it.)
5-90

Just curious, why brass? I've never heard of problems with the plastic ones. Oh, I get it you're talking about the whole shaft and gear being a single CNC'd piece, right?

I have a long shaft 29-tooth from an 89 MJ. I think that makes it part number 53001492 based on gojeep's site. I haven't been able to give it away, so you can have it. I'll throw it in a padded envelope and send it your way if you want it.

5-90 said:
I'm kicking around the idea of making "solid" gears out of bronze or brass, and I need a set to measure (might as well write programmes for all of them, while I'm about it.)

lawsoncl said:
Just curious, why brass? I've never heard of problems with the plastic ones. Oh, I get it you're talking about the whole shaft and gear being a single CNC'd piece, right?

Sounds like an argument can be made for doing it that way, but you'd still have to accomodate both long and short shafts, unless you've got something cooked up for that already.

5-90 said:
I'd eventually like to get one of each, and cover all years (NP231, NP242, and probably NP207/209/229 as well) so I can measure them.

Interesting. When I researched to figure out what to change to for my 30s, I didn't see anything to indicate that the 231 and 242 used different part numbers.

Anything worth designing is worth overdesigning, eh?

Because I just don't have a lot of faith in plastic, and I've seen a few get munched in use anyhow.

I'll PM you my addy. As a note for those of you who have them to spare - let me know, and we'll work out details. I'd appreciate it if you would include a small card with the thing or a note saying what it was for (year/model/transfer case/transmission/axle gearing/tooth count,) so I can recall what it was for. I'll post a list as I accumulate them - I should only need one of each.

5-90

Back