• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Considering Trxus STS

SKINNY

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying new rubber this week, but I'm still wavering.

I realize that there is no such thing as the perfect tire for on and off road, so I've been weighing the trade-offs. I've got a stock 99. I was looking at the usual suspects and narrowed it 235 BFG ATs, Trxus STS 29s. I was looking at the Trxus MTs as well, but they don't seem to have a suitable size.

I know the BFGs. The Trxus brand gets rave reviews, but I've heard the STSs can be noisey, hard to balance, and rub like hell....but they're absolutely kick-ass in the snow.

Anyone go with STSs on a stock 97+???

I had a set of the STS's, not on my jeep though. They were kinda noisy, let you know they were there, but i had the bias ply versions so they were expected to be a little noisy. My set balanced great, i think 4oz. per tire and i had 39's! They were awesome on the street and kicked ass in the snow. As for wear mine had about 3000 miles on them with no noticable wear when i sold the truck.

Would i buy a set for my XJ, probably not. I imagine the BFG AT is better on the street and probably better offroad too. The STS's just caked up with mud way too easily.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Swamper SSR's? They make a 27x9.5x15 for that tire. I have the trxus MT's and they blow away the BFG's I've had in the past. They have excellent road manners and are great in the snow and moderate mud. I believe most consider the SSR's a better tire than the trxus though I could be wrong. Also, I know this may sound stupid, but check the sizes and spec sheets on the different tires your thinking of. Swamper tires tend to run true to their advertized size while other manufacturers run smaller.

just my .02

I know this post is from months and months ago, but what the hell...

I eventually decided to go with the 29x10.5 Trxus STS'. I talked to people that raved about their durability and performance in snow (especially wet crappy snow). After about 6K miles and this winter's weather I can vouch for both. They do have a rep for not being very good in mud and to be honest I haven't tested that yet.

I don't really wheel this XJ. The worst it sees is unplowed city streets and some pretty crappy and neglected dirt roads and some steep grades. Other than that its highway.

I had had some concerns about how 29x10.5 tire would fit on a stock XJ, but it has turned out to be no problem at all. The biggest issue is that the full-sized spare does not fit in the tradition spare's spot. I also get some mild buzzes from the rear fender flares if I'm fully loaded or the road suddenly drops while at highway speed. There is also a tiny amount of LCA rub while at absolutely complete lock....but that has only happened twice and it's very mild. I have some comparison pics to show the Trxus on my 99 vs. BFG 235 ATs on a 97.

http://forum.neow.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=7548
http://forum.neow.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=7549

Back