• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best differential for winter weather

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
I currently have an open 8.25 rear and I was wondering what setup I could get for it that may help int he snow. I know a lincoln job would be rough, and an automatic locker probably be a bit hairy at times, but what about some of the other choices out there? Is there a decent LS I could install that would actually help in the snow?

I hit the trails with it, but it is also my daily driver and I have a 25 mile commute. Am I just going to be better off leaving it open and maybe get an air or E locker down the road?

I want more traction but not at the cost of trashing the XJ on the highway ;)

Which 8.25 do you have, 27 or 29 spline? That will limit your choices for a traction aid.

How about the install? Is it a do-it-yourself job? I'm pretty capable of most stuff (I've done all my own suspension work, etc), but I wouldn't have a clue, for instance how to set up gears.

From what I read online, the price isn't too bad.

bigo said:
I am running an Auburn and and love it. You would never know it was back there until you need it. Works great.
Big O
The auburn is even cheaper.

A friend of mine suggested the powertax, but I believe that will have some handling issues because that is more of a locker, is that correct???

I have the auburn in my 98. Setup is easy if you have two things, a press and a 4ft long adjusting tool made from some 1" tube to adjust the rear before putting the axles back in. Bolts on ring gear are counter clockwise :confused:
The rear uses screw in adjusters on both sides to get the gears adjusted properly and you need to grind out one corner of the housing to fit the auburn in. I've had mine for about 9 months now and so far I really like it... first one I have had in a few years so it took some getting used to again..almost pasted a couple of mailboxes coming out of an intersection the first few hours I had it, loose sand and gravel, figured to 'spin' my way out on a left turn, suprise suprise, went straight as an arrow...
Noticed similar on snow, apply power while turning and it goes straight ahead, let the gas off and it tracks great...If you get it now play with it in a parking lot with some snow to get used to how it acts...

Back