• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear seat Hi-lift mounts...

Drewlee77

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen some pictures of folks attaching 48" Hi-Lifts to the back of the rear seat. I even found a place that was selling mounts for this purpose. But I can't find it now... (does anyone know who sells them, and if they are any good?)

What are the downsides to this? Does it impede the ability to fold down the rear seat at all? Does it make alot of noise? Do you need to open up the seat to weld the mount in, or is there a way to securely bolt it in?

It sounds like a good idea, but I wanted to check about it specifically... I have already waded through all the "where to mount my hi-lift jack" threads and this was the only one that seemed to fit my criteria (which are complicated, I'll spare you from turning this into another hi-lift mounting thread)...

TIA

Thanks! That was the site I had seen before.... but I couldn't remember where.

Unfortunately, it doesn't attach where I thought it did. That would be perfect, except that I need my whole rear cargo area usable for large objects. That design would cut it in half.

In order to attach the hi-lift to the back of seat itself I would be forced to open it up and weld in supports then, wouldn't I?

why not just wedge it in there just behind the rear seat? that's what I do and it fits very snug. It won't stay there in a rollover but for DD and mild trails it works very well (and the best thing is that it's FREE!)

Later,
Alan

The answer is in the question: it won't stay there in a rollover. I'm not willing to risk the lives of my passengers (which I nearly always have when wheeling) I would rather leave the lift at home and risk being stuck on the trail.

EDIT: But thank you anyway!

Drewlee77 said:
The answer is in the question: it won't stay there in a rollover. I'm not willing to risk the lives of my passengers (which I nearly always have when wheeling) I would rather leave the lift at home and risk being stuck on the trail.

EDIT: But thank you anyway!

Dont roll!!!

stoney

I used a set of hi lift mounts called 4XRAC to mount my hi-lift to the back of my rear seat. I had to remove the seat and then remove the seat cover. I just used the bolts and nuts that came with the mount to attatch the mounts to the metal plate inside the seat.

you can find then at http://www.hi-lift.com/

My hi lift is cut doewn to fit between the rear wheelwells, and held in place against the bottom of the rear seat by my toolbox, which keeps it in there tight.
HTH.

put it diagonal against the rear seat so that the top of it sits in between the stock spare and the top of the wheel well and then the bottom sits to the left of the right rear wheel well and tie that side down with the stock XJ cargo tie right there. Use like 10 inches of strap or rope and put it through the base or around the base of the hi-lift and its fine. It doesnt move at all and even in a roll over it cant fall out because it is tied at one side and stuck by the spare on the other. Takes up no room at all and does not rattle.

bgcntry72 said:
My hi lift is cut doewn to fit between the rear wheelwells, and held in place against the bottom of the rear seat by my toolbox, which keeps it in there tight.
HTH.
I can't even get a wheel off the ground on my XJ without a 60" Hi-Lift.
I mounted mine on my roof rack.

Dan

Roof rack that way when I roll over other people scream!!!! Seriously though I have rolled on my side twice and my roof rack has yet to com off!!! The Hi-lift is safely tucked inside the rail of the rack. Its also good for right side balast as I am on the heavier side.

Dan Turner said:
I can't even get a wheel off the ground on my XJ without a 60" Hi-Lift.
I mounted mine on my roof rack.

Dan

I guess that settles it then.
I would delete my post if I could, because my Heep isn't tall enough for me to be helpful.
:rolleyes:

bgcntry72 said:
I guess that settles it then.
I would delete my post if I could, because my Heep isn't tall enough for me to be helpful.
:rolleyes:
BG, I wasn't trying to put you down, just sharing my experience with the flexy nature of the XJ.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
just sharing my experience with the flexy nature of the XJ.

Dan
The XJs are pretty damn flexy....and have a lot of droop. In my experiences with using a hi lift, you really need to limit the axle droop somehow. We usually use a ratchet strap and attach it to the frame (for the front axle).

I've been able to use my 48" jack in the front receiver of my bumper (which is pretty tall) with this method. Using it on the sliders is obviously even lower.

I have no idea what tire size you're running, Dan......but I think most people can get away with using a 48" jack.....unless they are running 37s or taller.

However, the 60" jack does provide a lot of options when you're in the rocks/mud though.....but damn if they aren't a pain to carry around with you.

A pic of the mount that was previously mentioned....just for reference:
hiliftmount3.jpg

hiliftmount4.jpg

I used to set it right behind the seat as shown above but I used a couple bungie cords around the seat latches to sinch it down tight. that or I also put it on the floor right by the hatch. this way it goes down with the seat when you lay the seat flat.

As for a 48" jack being tall enough I have to strap the axle up to get a 33" tire off the ground. Jacking from the ARB bumper anyway. Cant even come close without strapping it up. tie downs work great and I carry them anyway.

Back