• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 t case swap ?

Twisted XJ

NAXJA Forum User
All are the inner parts the same. I have a 89 231 aw4 that I would like to pull the insides and HD sye from to replace my busted and abused 94 231 ax15 insides.

I believe this is a direct swap but am not sure.

Twisted XJ said:
All are the inner parts the same. I have a 89 231 aw4 that I would like to pull the insides and HD sye from to replace my busted and abused 94 231 ax15 insides.

I believe this is a direct swap but am not sure.
Make sure the input shafts are the right spline count and you'll be okay. If one is 21 and the other is 23, you should be able to keep the input shaft that is correct for your application and swap out the rest of the parts.

Last edited:
Depending on if you have the vacuum axle shift, the shifter rail may be a different length, but your old one will work.

Thanks. the only truly broken part is the chain but since some of the others are worn and the 89 won't be worth anything once I take the chain and HD SYE from it, I figure while I am at I might as well compare the parts and take the best of each. thnaks for the answers.

One other thing to keep in mind is that there MAY be a different pitch to the annulus gear in the planetary and this is part of the case. Keep the planetaries with their original case and you won't have a problem. Otherwise, just make sure the pitches are the same. I think there is some inf on the web to help determine if they are the same. I did an article on www.madxj.com about this, so check there. Jeff

Back