• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Ford Need Ratio

dan

NAXJA Member # 1521
I just bought a 1996 explorer rear end complete with disc. I have the tag but dont know how to tell what gear is in it. Since i only paid $150. for it I thought I'D have to regear, if it has 410 now it would be a good thing. Dan

Your tag should have a number sequence like F8.8-XXX those 3 numbers are your ratio, for instance, F8.8-373 is a 3.73:1 ratio, F8.8-410 is 4.10:1, etc..
Hope that helps.

or pull the diff cover off. since u probably want to check the condition of the ears anyways. count teeth on ring gear, divide by teeth on pinion. if it 4:10, you should ahve 41 teeth on the ring and 10 on the pinion. at least mine does.

chassellbandit said:
or pull the diff cover off. since u probably want to check the condition of the ears anyways. count teeth on ring gear, divide by teeth on pinion. if it 4:10, you should ahve 41 teeth on the ring and 10 on the pinion. at least mine does.
bingo.

Would a 8.8 with 3.73 gears be worth the effort? I know where one is from an Eddie Bower '96 Exploder cheap.?

Thats the same Explorer mine came in, it was a v6. Mine is a 410 ,it is stamped on the ring and pinion and there are 41 ring gears and 10 pinion gears. I think the swap is a good one if it is not a match then it will cost more to do both ends.

Back