• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any suggeation on speaker locations for MJ

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 MJ so speaker mounting locations are limited. I have an alpine CD player and some sort of amp behind the seat.

What kind and size door speakers should I use and where could I mound a second set?

There are a few options on an MJ similar to the options on an S-10. look in the back corners, they make 2x10 or 2x8's that will fit in the upper rear corners or futher down inside the trim pieces. Another optionn is to get surface mount speakers, they are in 4x8 and are mounted in a rigid thin flat box that looks like an armrest, uses a steel bracket that bolts to the old armrest holes and then the box gets mounted ot that, even has a grab slot in it for closing the door. Years ago they were made by muntz, then audiovox came out with a set but I just saw a similar set on 'pimp my ride' a few weeks ago. Just some ideas...
My S10 ended up with 6, 2 in the dash, two in the doors, two in the corners w/400w amp/equalizer.

Stock door speakers for the MJ are the same as the XJ -- 5-1/4". The rear speakers go in the trim behind the doors, down low. They are an odd size, but you can get 'em. I think it's a 4x10 but that's going from memory. The ones I got were actually 4" rounds, mounted on an adapter plate.

How tall are you??
If you could afford to sacrifice a bit of head room, try using a factory cherokee soundbar in the head liner... You know, the removable ones that were mounted over the rear cargo area in the XJ. I have a buddy with an MJ who did just that, but granted, he's only 5' 6".

I added a component set with tweeters to the front doors:
39006067.jpg

and 6x9s in their own little boxes in the back. Crutchfield.com sells 'em, but I bet you can pick them up at a local store too. Rear speakers are just about worthless for anything but bass, so skipping them and adding a little subwoofer can be a better choice.
Jep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Last edited:
Last edited:
ArcticXJ said:
How tall are you??
If you could afford to sacrifice a bit of head room, try using a factory cherokee soundbar in the head liner... You know, the removable ones that were mounted over the rear cargo area in the XJ. I have a buddy with an MJ who did just that, but granted, he's only 5' 6".
I'm 5'10-11" and I had that for a while, it was annoying.

Back