• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ - Leak from top of tank

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a leak on my tank and could use a little help. After filling up the tank I noticed gas on the front of the tank. Dropped the tank today and replaced the gasket. I inspected the tank for pinholes/cracks and of course I didn't find any. After putting everything back together and filling up the tank.....STILL LEAKING!!(&^%%#

Anyone run into the same problem on their 97 XJ with a plastic tank?

Frank Z said:
I've got a leak on my tank and could use a little help. After filling up the tank I noticed gas on the front of the tank. Dropped the tank today and replaced the gasket. I inspected the tank for pinholes/cracks and of course I didn't find any. After putting everything back together and filling up the tank.....STILL LEAKING!!(&^%%#

Anyone run into the same problem on their 97 XJ with a plastic tank?

Are you sure it's a leak from top of the tank and not from the fill tube?

I had the same problem with my 97. It was so bad that when driving in heavy rain, water would get into the tank and make the engine stumble.

I dropped the tank, installed a new gasket and had the same problem. I dropped it again, coated the gasket with a gas-safe silicone type sealer, then beat the threaded collar tight with a hammer and screwdriver.

No problems after that.

-Jim C

As long as you are going to have the tank down, double check near the area where the filler neck connects with the tank. My '98 had a crack in that area that was difficult to see, which was a bear to track down. A replacement tank solved the problem...

I have same problem on my 1996 Xj.

I replace the hose Tee to Right Rollover valve. After I fill gas in, I see other leaking from Tee to left rollover valve. I couldn't reach it to replace the hose.

How do you lower ur tank to reach the adjuacent vent ?

Back