• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a Chopped XJ?

BLSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know alot of you don't have a tailgate, but those that do..
what did you use? how'd you do it?

I'm thinking about using a MJ tailgate and cutting a section out of both sides so it'll be the right width. how hard would making the pivots for this be?

any ideas?

BLSXJ said:

I'm thinking about using a MJ tailgate and cutting a section out of both sides so it'll be the right width. how hard would making the pivots for this be?

any ideas?

I really wanted to have a working tailgate, but it proved to be more trouble than it was worth for me, but it'd be cool to see what you make of it.

I had planned to use a CJ-7 tailgate and hinges to open sideways.

the width is pretty optimal IMHO, and you could easily make it drop down.

It would be cool to see what you come up with.

I tried to figure out a good way to cut my hatch down, but in the end I took the easy way out. I used a grocery net from the trunk of any mid sized sedan. Works for me.

Maybe HackedXJ will chime in, as I think he did a good job on his, with alot of work, of course.

I don't know who this guy is, but I got pics of his setup.
wheelin730063vb.jpg

wheelin730041xt.jpg

I'm not sure why you'd want it hinged at the top? and after having a swing out tire carrier, haveing it fold down like a pick up makes a lot of sense.

Motornoggin said:
I imagine it was the easiest way to do it. He still uses the original latch and can lock it. Seems a lot less complicated to me.

I'm not sure that guy was worried about locking his rig up :doh:

But if you had a "bed" cover I could see the advantage to locking it. It does make for an easy latch solution though.

~Jeremy

im working on one made out of tube right now. going to use a tj door latch on one side and hinges on the other to make it open and close and to close it in im gonna use some 18 gauge steel. and make it a quick realease also.

01-XJ said:
I'm not sure that guy was worried about locking his rig up :doh:

But if you had a "bed" cover I could see the advantage to locking it. It does make for an easy latch solution though.

~Jeremy

If you look, he has a piece of diamond plate covering the area from the seat back to the gate, so he does basically have an enclosed, lockable storage area.

You might like to contact Joey Barone "xjk9bar1" via PM and see if he'd send you pics of his setup - very slick and seems fairly easy to put together if'n you can weld.

BLSXJ said:

any ideas?

This is how I did it.
Cut the glass of the liftgate.
Installed hinges on the bumper and bottom of liftgate.
now it folds down and latches up with hardware gate latches.
Then just reinforced the gate itself and support with chains.

Works GREAT!

Bill

http://community.webshots.com/album/184729955LFrRDE

partsbill said:
This is how I did it.
Cut the glass of the liftgate.
Installed hinges on the bumper and bottom of liftgate.
now it folds down and latches up with hardware gate latches.
Then just reinforced the gate itself and support with chains.

Works GREAT!

Bill

http://community.webshots.com/album/184729955LFrRDE
Looks great!

r@m

Back