• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 Failure

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
How do d35's typicly fail? I haven't experienced this yet, but I was wondering how I could prevent breakage on the trail(aside from replacing the axle altogether). Trussing? Welding the axle tubes to the housing?
My axle is a non C-clip style, does that help?
Thanks in advance.

Ok, D35's usually fail by breaking an axle shaft, stripping the spider gears (if not locked), breaking a lunchbox locker if hammered hard, sometimes breaking the ring and pinion, or spinning the pumpkin on the tubes.

To avoid breakage, ALWAYS use a light foot, avoid wedgies like the plague, and truss the housing if possible.

I blew up my Dana 35 with 3.55 gears and 32s on the street. The spider gears just came appart when I was leaving a stop sign. And that was with my 4.0L, I cant imagine what it would have looked like with the stroker motor and 4.10s I have now.

To keep it alive? Get a full case locker such as a detroit or ARB, weld the tubes to the centersection, truss the crap out of it and be very carefull with the throttle. It would be best to upgrade to a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8.

AARON

I have broken a couple of cross shafts in the case. Both w/ a Lockright in place. The latest one also damaged the Lockright beyond reusing it. Before the Lockright went through a set of spider gears. This same Lockright was in another Jeep where a couple of ring and pinions and an axleshaft were broken. I have yet to break an axle, still original w/ @80k on them. I think from the cost effectiveness standpoint using a Lockright or similar is the best bet. My TJ has 4.10 gears and 32" Swampers and the locker, gets used pretty hard and has held up well. All the breakage I've encountered has been on asphalt when launching hard from a stop. I've reached the point where I want lower gears and bigger tires so I'm now changing to a 44 in the rear, but still the 35 held up a lot better than most people would lead you to believe. I think alot of people spend a lot of money on stronger parts that really don't know how much abuse the stock parts can handle.

I think alot of people spend a lot of money on stronger parts that really don't know how much abuse the stock parts can handle.

maybe it's that alot of people want to avoid finding out how much abuse the stock parts can handle when they are out on the trail :idea:

So is it a big risk to put 33's on my dana 35 while I wait for my 8.8 to get built up? I'll only be doing highway driving this winter...

kubtastic said:
So is it a big risk to put 33's on my dana 35 while I wait for my 8.8 to get built up? I'll only be doing highway driving this winter...

You'll be fine.........just don't hammer it and take it easy off road.

Back