• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Northstar 32v swap

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I cant find any old threads on this so here goes,
I was wondering if anyone has swaped a chevy 90 degree block into their Cherokee, and how hard it would be. From what I can find online, the "iron duke" bellhousing used in '80 to '83 CJ's is a 90 degree pattern, but what can you bolt up on the backside?
I am asking because I am tired of the little 4 banger I have and I realize that swaping a 4.0L/Aw4 combo is just as hard as putting in any other different motor/tranny combo. I have access to a totaled '96 Eldorado Northstar 32v and I thought that it might be an interesting swap (to say the least).
Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised by your comment that a 4.0L swap is the same magnitude of hassle. If you find a donor, swapping a 4.0L is a bolt in process. Yes, lots of bolts, but everything is stock and readily available. Around here there are lots of 4.3L Chevy's that have been put in Cherokees. It is doable, but the effort is probably an order of magnitude greater.

Lots of Luck.

I think JP magazine did a write up about doing this swap in a cj or something. It might have been last year, so maybe look on there site. Also check out hot rod magazine they were hot on this motor for awhile. I think it would be a cool swap there lightweight and can make good horsepower. I'm not a 100% but I think some of the northstar motors were the same setup as a small block chevy. Maybe get in touch with Advance Adapters they might be able to give you all the info you need.

I'd swap a Shortstar (V6) in before attempting a Northstar V8 swap in a XJ, but a 4.0/AW4/231 is much less work and provides you with an ultra-reliable platform with off the shelf/salvage yard donor parts in liberal access. You should be able to find a lower mile motor/trans/tcase for about $1500.00.
I did a TBI 4.3/TH350/9" Ford rear swap a few years back and it was pretty straightforward, but it was into a 2wd truck, so much less complex.

old_man said:
I'm surprised by your comment that a 4.0L swap is the same magnitude of hassle. If you find a donor, swapping a 4.0L is a bolt in process. Yes, lots of bolts, but everything is stock and readily available. Around here there are lots of 4.3L Chevy's that have been put in Cherokees. It is doable, but the effort is probably an order of magnitude greater.

Lots of Luck.
True, it is bolt in, which is nice, but either way I have to rewire almost the whole rig and still modify the engine compartment in order for it to fit (I have an '86)

XJEEPER said:
I'd swap a Shortstar (V6) in before attempting a Northstar V8 swap in a XJ, but a 4.0/AW4/231 is much less work and provides you with an ultra-reliable platform with off the shelf/salvage yard donor parts in liberal access. You should be able to find a lower mile motor/trans/tcase for about $1500.00.
I did a TBI 4.3/TH350/9" Ford rear swap a few years back and it was pretty straightforward, but it was into a 2wd truck, so much less complex.

What is a shortstar? Ive never herd of it.

It is very difficult to bolt the 4.0 into your '86 body. The engine compartments are shaped completely different, along with radiator core support, trans. tunnel, etc. The SHORTSTAR motor is a V6 version of the Northstar V8. The best bang for the buck I THINK in the 2.8 rigs is a 3.4 V6 out of a wrecked Camaro.

John

Info on this would be great , I recently fell assbackwards into a very low milage northstar for FREE!!!!! and have been thinking of this swap in my wifes project XJ......I just cant bring myself to take my less than 1000 mile stroker out of my MJ for this...but would junk her 100k HO motor quickly for it..

JP magazine put a short star in a flattie, and put a northstar in a XJ. The XJ was not crazy just need custom motor mounts and the northstar has a funky bolt pattern on the bellhousing and one bolt doesn't line up with the 2.8/3.4 donor bellhousing youll need to make the swap work, they cut this hole out and moved it to make it work. I really liked this swap in theroy, untill i found out you can't rebuild a northstar block over bore it, and there maybe was one other dilema maybe. Oh well i said F it and just sold myself on stroking the ole' 4.0.

Back