• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper rear main won't come out

I´ve heard tell, of guys taking the last main bearing cap off, to get a thousdanths or so of extra play.
I´ve always used the largest round punch that would clear and wacked one end of the seal. A few times it has come out of there, on the verge of mushrooming on me, but always moved just in the nick of catastrophy. Had to hit that sucker a lot harder than I was comfortable with. Just make sure the round (pin) punch will clear. I had to clean up a couple of burrs, with a small set of keyhole files (usually fairly cheap at Home Depot).
Last time I couldn´t get it to move one direction and switched ends and got it to move. Worked it back and forth a few times slightly and then took it out.
Good luck and keep your mouth closed or you´ll have to brush your teeth with hand soap. :puke: Darned oil dripping on you is the sorriest part of the whole job.

yotaparts said:
forget it, walked away for an hour tapped it once and it gave way :mad:
:yelclap: Guess we were posting at the same time :wave:

same problem no luck
loosened all my caps
starting to mushroom
thinks i put some gouges in the block side
DAMN

Last edited:
Yeah I hated that. Mine wouldn't do it either. I just kept at it oil dripping and all until finally got enough to grip on then it tore off then banged my hand billions of times and finally it came out.

PapaPump said:
same problem no luck
loosened all my caps
starting to mushroom
thinks i put some gouges in the block side
DAMN

Probably why most people suggest using a brass punch

Hope it worked out for ya

Got it out finally, just took a lot of patience and persistance. I am having trounble getting the oil pan back in now though. Need to disconnect mroe form the axle to let it hang down more. Still wish I would have used a brass punch, they can't be that expensive.

Does anyone know how to bet a siezed steering stabilizer off? I have a pickle for but it is not working. It was the smallest one I could find but I think it is too big.

Back