• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 front

90KrawlerXJ

NAXJA Member #1067
I plan on running a full width D60 front. I want to retain the driver's side drop and set-up the axle as it is with the D30(exept heavier) so I can use Rusty's off the shelf Long Arm lift. I have an empty D60 housing that I want to run stock Chevy axles in. Can anyone tell me if stock Chevy axles and stub shafts will work if they are swapped from passenger drop to driver drop? I think this swap will work retaining the inner C's and stock steering knuckles. I am looking for the kingpin strength and easy/cheap parts of the Chevy axle as well as the ability to run 35 spline stubs.

ummmmm you lost me.....a chevy d60 is low pinion and passenger drop....A ford d60 is HP and drivers drop. Chevy outters will work in the ford axle ***only**** if you cut them down, the chevy stubs are slightly longer than ford stubs. as far as the inner axles I don't honestly know, but I do know that ford had at least two different housings depending on year, the 78-79 housing had 6" of tube on the short side the later modles only have about 3" of tube, making the center section closer to the wheel. If you are going to run these in full width form the earlier housing is a lot easier to use, the driveshaft lines up and brackets from RE can be welded on to utilize the stock suspension mounting. I have this set up in my MJ using off the shelf RE long arms.You can get 35 spline stubs specifically for the ford, I used chevy 35 spline outters and cut them down cause that's what my bud had in stock at the time. As far as using a chevy housing, you would have to retube both sides of the axles and probably have custom inner shafts made, then you'd have a bastard child ,low pinion, customed shafted, biotch...to find shafts for. My advice if you really want to pursue this is, sell the Chevy housing, save your pennies and buy an early Ford hp 60, weld the brackets on and bolt your LA up.

I guess I should be more specific. I plan on swapping the axle tubes(equal to stock length from the center of the differential) from drivers side to passengers. I am retaining all stock chevy axle parts. I want to be able to use factory parts(read: lots of breakage).

What upper control arms you tryinf to run? I did a 60 swap into a RE 5.5" and had to modify the HELL outa the driver upper. Why dont you trade for a Ford 60? You are going to have a load of fun pulling tubes.

It's doable, i did exactly that besides i cut off 2" at each side so i had to order custom axle shafts. If you're cutting both sides at the same distance from the pumpkin you should be fine. I pressed some additional tube inside the new welded tubes for additional strength.

i'd take a peak at hte thread about rustys long arms ran on a 60, granted one upper was removed, it didnt look like it held up to well.

Back