• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember Bolt Problem - Yes I Searched

NJBT4.56

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post, and first want to thank everyone for the knowledge I have scavenged for the last couple weeks...Thanks!

I have a new XJ (2001) that I am currently working. I got under to change the T-Case fluid yesterday and noticed that one of the t-case crossmember stud bolts (the rear one) was broken off in the frame. I drilled it out to 1/4" and tried the easy out...guess what...it broke off in the frame.

I have drilled a 11/16" (cuase I have a couple sharp ones from drilling knuckles) hole in the frame rail next to the stuck bolt and am attempting to brake the nut zert free. I have one side broken free. When it is free, I will fish a bolt down through the opening by the front control arms using some weed eater line and down through the opening where the zert was...then tighten it up...

Your thoughts...? I did read the other options...and now I know there is a way to access from the inside...should have read before I drilled, etc...My only other thought is to weld the rear to the frame, but that would suck when I wanted to drop the t-case...(which I will)

Thanks

One other thought, especially if you've got a nice big hole next to the mounting hole and you are equipped to weld: Take a nut, and weld a piece of strapping to it, so that it will hit the frame, or otherwise be prevented from turning and put it in the place of the nutsert. You might even be able to make a tab that is bent down through the access hole, to hold it by. Then you can use a regular bolt. If you prefer, you could weld the strap to the head of the bolt you fish down through the hole. The bolt or nut will then stay in place, but if you shear it later, it will be easy to remove.

Actually the bolt I planned to use is one from the suspension on Dodge Ram 1500 I lifted a few years ago. It is just as you described. It has a piece of plate welded to it so that it cannot turn. I was hoping to be able to fit it through the 11/16" hole, but this is doubtful...

BTW - I was suprised at how thick the frame rail is at this mouting point...

Back