• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92H.O being swapped 4A 88 4.0???

Smoke A BIG XJ

NAXJA Forum User
im planning on a engine swap in the very near futre and i just wanted to get some input on this my 92HO is DEKCUF valve guide and seal problem im pretty sure... cant keep plugs, gas, or oil in it and it now smokes more then i do(cough,cough..anyway i have a 92XJ LIMITED4.0HO and i just bought a 88 LIMTED4.0 and a 87 LARAEDO 4.0.as a package deal im going dismantle the 88LTD and put the engine in my 92 ...so i would like some input on this what i can expcet to run in to what works what dosent what im for sure gonna need TIHS like that...thanx in advance .....oh but please dont just tell me to check the arcives and faq gear cuz thats always the first thing i do, loooooooong b4 i ever registred ...LATA

Swapping a Renix 4.0 into your Jeep should be reasonably straightforward but you will face one or two minor problems:

1. The intake ports of the '88 head are lower than those of the '92 head so your intake manifold runners won't line up properly. You could recondition your '92 head instead and bolt it onto the '88 block to solve the problem. If you do a mild home port job on the '92 head you can gain a few ponies as a bonus.

2. If you have the AW4 tranny, you won't have to worry about the clutch pilot bearing. If you have the AX15, you'll need pilot bearing 53009180 which fits in the '88 crank.

thanx a bunch there doc ....i have the complte jeep that the engine is comming out of so parts shouldnt be a problem ....so im thinking that u have assumed i am going to put the intake off my 92 on the 88 engine prior to installion which i am the 92 for sure needs a valve job or somthing the plugs are getting soaked in oil now rather then just burning on them after a short time leaving bigAss deposits which leads horriable gas mileage and add a gallon of oil per 1/2 tank of fuel since it has worsend anyway it has to be change real soon cuz my XJ is now very expensive to run .....keep the inputs coomin folks i love learning new things about this and i know some of yall now what ur talking about cuz u been there ..LATA

Back