• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body swapping

calvin

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to buy a '91 for next to nothing, and my reason for doing this would be solely for the body. I'd like to swap everything (engine/transmission/TC/axles/etc.) from my '98 into the '91, but I was wondering about any major obstacles I might encounter, particularly as far as the engine goes.
(It's not my DD, so the time involved in the project won't be an issue).

Thanks for any words of wisdom or inspiration.

Calvin

Major obstacles no, front and rear axles will bolt right up with no mods as will the T-case, trans and motor. Only difference between motors is basically a few brackets, a re-modeled intake manifold and the computer ('91 is obd1 newer is obdII). So what you can do is thro the '98 motor minus the harness and computer and intake manifold into the '91 and use the '91's computer and harness intake manifold and whatnot, if you want to use all '98 stuff then swap the whole motor with computer in, should be very easy and straight forward.

Eric

Thanks for the info.
My reason for doing the swap is that after the last rollover, the body is not looking all that hot, i.e., no windshield, no cargo windows, and nary an unblemished panel on the whole vehicle. Even though it will still be a 99% trail rig, I'd like to be able to do a little street driving without worrying about being pulled over.
Bottom line, it's because even though my F250 is a pretty cool DD, nothing compares to a Jeep.

Calvin

Physically, everything will bolt right in. Engine mounts are the same, axles and springs all mount the same. As already noted, the '98 is the newer computer with OBD-II, so you will need to swap in the entire '98 wiring harness. That's an excuse to update the '91 interior to the new dash anyway, so why not?

Or I suppose you could retain the '91 electronics and just bolt in the '98 engine. You might have to change over to the older throttle body, or at least swap over the '91 TPS.

Back