• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the diff between valve covers?

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Will an HO valve cover fit a renix? I just hate teh way the renix oil cap looks and if I can get a HO valve cover cheap I will take it.

Thanks
Chris

No reason for it not to - the only significant change I can think of was Chrysler wanting to use their own oil filler cap to simplify their parts/logistics train, and to get that "proprietary" feeling all these big companies like.

CAVEAT - there have been a lot of negative reports from the field on those ChryCo-style oil filler caps going dysfunctional and requiring destructive removal - I think RichP started the last thread on the subject. Apparently, the racheting mechanism starts to fail at elevated temperatures (like being on top of an engine at operating temperature) and "goes soft" - and won't ratchet off. A common fix seems to be filling the "ratchet champer" with epoxy and allowing it to cure before installing, making what is in effect a "solid" cap. Makes sense to me - I was never wild about plastic ratchet mechanisms anyhow.

5-90

I'll be damned I always thought that a HO wouldn't fit a renix. Well that should solve my bent valve cover problem. Thanks.

The PCV hoses are different, although probably not hard to adapt. I would take the renix style oil cap any day. Sure it doesn't look as good, but the engine compartment in an XJ is going to be ugly no matter what you do. Most of them are impossible to open while the engine is warm, and frequently require removal with a pair of vice grips. Definately not an upgrade.

Back