• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate questions

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
When doing a flexplate removal/install job are there any other parts (seals, bearings, etc) that should be changed out while that area is apart and accessible? Should any new bolts be purchased beforehand?

There's no need to remove the tranny to do the rear main seal on the 4.0L, and there's no need to drop the oil pan when doing the flex plate. So having the tranny pulled back will not make it any easier to do the rear main seal.

Well...

I'd change the ront pump seal (since you're pretty much there anyhow) and inspect the TC snout for a "seal groove."

Also, I'd split the trans/TC and change that seal as well - it's out where you can get at it anyhow.

The TC bolts are M10-1.5x20MM or thereabouts, and subject to a lot of shear stress - I'd change those out as well, using a minimum property class of 10.9 (12.9 better.)

The flexplate bolts are 1/2-20x1/2", and there are six of them. I'd change those as well (just because I'm cranky) with ARP - I don't recall the kit #, but there is a kit for Pontiac that works for our application as well.

And, make sure there are no cracks in the "clamp ring" around the flexplate bolts - having a "dye-check" kit will serve our purposes here. A well-stocked local should be able to help you with all of that.

5-90

Just replaced mine, was a lot easier with the tranny removed and out of the way....swapped out my TC case at the same time....world of difference in the way it runs.....its a wonder mine ever started, big chunk out of it and it was cracked in numerous spots.

Back