• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushings difficult to install?

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of buying an entire poly bushing kit for my 96 XJ with 192K. I was wondering how hard it is to install them on the control arms, leaf springs, and such. Does it require special tools? Would I get charged an arm and a leg if I took it in to have it done? Is it even worth it? Thanks for any help, guys.

When i changed many of my front end bushings for my 94 it wasnt hard but took a lot of time. any of the stock busings are pressed in with metal flanges and need to be torched and pryed out. Once you get the hang of it yourfine it just takes time.

pete

Thanks jeeps rock, do I need to rent a torch? Are the new ones hard to get back in? Did it have a big improvement on your handling?

The leaf spring bushings, upper shackle bolt bushing and all the control arm bushings will need to be pressed out/torched out. You will experience more road/engine vibration. You mat get the poly squeek. There's a lot off labor involved probably two days worth at at least $50/hr. So ya it might be a little expensive. Unless you do it yourself then it just takes time. Off the top of my head tools needed include jackstands, jack, torque wrench, 21mm deep socket, breaker bar, torch (if you're gonna torch 'em. I imagine a propane torch would do the trick)

Actually, you should be using a shop press. And if you have stock control arms, you need spacers to fit into the open side so the sides don't collapse when you press out the old bushings. I can't imagine why you would want or need a torch -- none of the bushings are welded in place, they are all press fit.

I've had good luck with a ball joint press simular to the one you can get at the Autozone Loan a Tool program. It makes it quick and easy. It does help to have an extra hand to hold the pieces together for the upper bushings on the front axle.

Thanks guys. Karstic, will I really get considerably more road and engine noise and vibration? Not like its a Lexus, but I don't really want that. I have a flowmaster and loud stereo, hopefully that would offset it. Will I get vibrations in the wheel and stuff? What if I just do the 4 control arms, will that help handling response without adding too much harshness. I have origingal bushings at 192K, and I really just want to take out the slop in the steering and ride, and the jiggles over bumps. Any further input would be great before I embark on the expense and PITA. Thanks alot guys!

The higher the lift the harsher the ride. You will also lose some flex with the poly. Just a new set of rubber bushings will do wonders. The lowers are only $5 each at Autozone.

I recently replaced just the lower control arm bushings. The LCA bushings alone seemed to make noticable impact on that shakky front-end feeling.

The ball-joint press is a handy tool.

ca_bush_in.jpg

I have only 1 inch of lift and don't care a whole lot about flex, there's plenty for the mild off roading I do once in a while. On road ride and handling are more important.

If that's the case, I would recommend keeping with rubber. I use rubber on the lowers of my long arms just to keep the ride a bit less harsh.

You might put a post in the wanted forum. You might be able to score a real good set of control arms that someone is pulling for a lift upgrade. If it is your daily driver and you have to keep it on the road, you might want to consider getting a cheap set so you can do the bushing swap at your own pace and then do a simple arm swap in an hour or so.

Jackhill442 said:
Thanks guys. Karstic, will I really get considerably more road and engine noise and vibration? Not like its a Lexus, but I don't really want that. I have a flowmaster and loud stereo, hopefully that would offset it. Will I get vibrations in the wheel and stuff? What if I just do the 4 control arms, will that help handling response without adding too much harshness. I have origingal bushings at 192K, and I really just want to take out the slop in the steering and ride, and the jiggles over bumps. Any further input would be great before I embark on the expense and PITA. Thanks alot guys!

Not really but it will be there. I recently replaced my stock LCA (198k)with aftermarket LCAs with poly bushings. I did notice a little more vibration, as if I was driving over a road with a rough surface. No vibration in the steering wheel, just kinda overall. I'm not sure if its a combination of the aftermarket LCA's and poly bushings, but the front end is definately tighter.

Eagle said:
Actually, you should be using a shop press. And if you have stock control arms, you need spacers to fit into the open side so the sides don't collapse when you press out the old bushings. I can't imagine why you would want or need a torch -- none of the bushings are welded in place, they are all press fit.
That's the poor man's way of getting them out. Burn out the rubber than pry out the outer sleeve.

Just remember, if you're doing poly bushings, all you need to do is burn out the rubber and remove the inner bushing... the sleeves need to stay IN the control arms, the poly bushings fit in the sleeves.

Honestly, I like the poly bushings for on road ride. I've gone through the suspension on my '87 completely.... I put in all the poly bushings that energy suspension provides... control arms, track bar, leaf springs, swaybar mounts, etc. I've also replaced all ball joints, both wheel bearings, all the tie-rod ends, the trackbar mount and trackbar, with new stuff. My rig rides very nice on the road, very taught, responsive steering... it rides a little like a truck though, kinda bounces on bumps, but it's quiet... makes no wierd clunking noises or creaking, just the sound of my swaybar disconnects clanking when I go over bumps. It's really nice, lots of work to replace all that stuff over time, but it makes a big difference.

Thanks very much, guys. Notmatt, I think I will definitely swap everything for poly. I just want to get rid of the jitteryness and slop. Right now the Jeep changes directions pretty clumsily, and I have a new track bar, shocks, springs, and steering box. So here I go!

If you are going to poly disregard this, but otherwise...

If you are going to replace the bushing (with rubber) on each end of the control arms it will cost you about $10 per arm ($5 each with two on each arm). You can buy new replacement OEM control arms with the bushings in them for about $13 from Quadratec, and not spend all the time pressing new bushings in.

HTH

Don't bother trying to replace the bushing. New control arms from Quadratec are $12.95/ea for the uppers and $19.95/ea for the lowers. Might seem more expensive up front, but by the time you buy all the bushings, rent the tools you need and spend hours trying to get the old bushing out and the new bushings in...... :)

Back