• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side trail off of Last Chance Canyon.

chad

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard of and seen a few pics of a side trail off of Last Chance Canyon, just before the V notch. When we ran Last Chance this weekend we walked up part of it. Pretty good looking trail. Very narrow with a couple of big waterfalls. Has anyone here ran it? Does it come out somewhere or do you turn around and drive back down? Once I get my rear bumper and gas tank skid done I'd like to give it a shot.
Thanks,
Chad

i wasn't on the run, but here's a review from a buddy that went a few weeks ago:

A few of us got together to run a trail that we had descovered the last time we were at Last Chance. This is an off shoot just prior to the V notch. It was probably one of the hardest trails I have ran. This definately was not for the skiddish. Hard lockers were a must. Included in this trail was a 6' 80* waterfall that was rather interesting, not going up but coming back down. We could only get so far and the trail kept getting harder and harder. We eventually had to turn around (we went less than 1.5 miles). Going back down the trail was as hard as going up. The trip took us almost 8 hours.
some pics: http://pierviews.com/photogallery/dead%20end%20wash/dead%20end%20wash.htm

ruggedjeep said:
Did u run it on Sat?

No, I am waiting on my ubolts and new bumpstops, because I just put on 34" boggers and with only about 4" (actually a little less) of lift I rub like crazy! ( I tested it by my house) Even with all my trimming (no rubbing with 32" swampers) I just didn't want to rip my tires apart. This weekend I am going to install front and rear bumpstops and new rear leafs. After that it is time to go play.

sounds good, ya ive been out of commision for a while to, tranny mount is shot the vibration is crazy, passenger side hub assembly is shot tires are going bald by the mile, and i have no front bumper so i have no recovery point. Should be all taken care of by new years.

cbremer- Thanks for the info.
I definitely want to try it. Maybe we can set up a run at the end of Jan.?
Thanks again,
Chad

Looks pretty sweet. I want to go there. Let me know as well.

-Mike

I had the priviledge of opening that trail a few years ago with some local wheeling buddies. We had been looking at it for a number of years, and on one trip to Last Chance we just decided to do it. It was very cool running a virgin canyon, and we had to fill in one big hole. We couldn't find a way out the top, because it was overgrown and very soft and steep, plus we didn't know where it would come out. Coming back down was also fun, and we had to finish in the dark. That's the only time I've ever winched myself down a waterfall backwards, that thing was just too steep to want to drive back down.

Between the 14 and Randsberg Rd, Red Rock area.
Gonna take another look at it on Thursday.
--ron

Just out of curiosity Richard, how many trails have pioneered?

karstic said:
Just out of curiosity Richard, how many trails have pioneered?

I think that's the only one. We did another side canyon off of Last Chance that looked like no one had been through, but it's really off limits now that Last Chance Canyon is part of Red Rock State Park. Before the big flash flood out there a few years ago, and before the Park rangers started to close things off, we ran great lines on a lot of little off shoots and sections of Last Chance. That used to be a really fun place, but it's not like it used to be.

Another place that we've done a bunch of new stuff is on Doran Canyon and above Odessa Canyon in Calico. I can make a run up Doran VERY interesting...... :D

Kaczman said:
I'd bet around 90% of them, mostly in a covered wagon. That guy is old!

:)

-Jon

I remember when the Rubicon was a main road from Tahoe to Sacramento, there were no trails in Moab because no one even knew what uranium was yet, and Cottonwood Pass was on a main wagon route from Denver to the west. Oh, and while I wasn't there, I had friends who were there when Hole in the Rock was built.

:greensmok

:D :D

Back