• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need my AC back!!!

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, today my XJ had the temp of 140F inside!!!! It was parked in a semi shade at work and when I got into it, it was unbereable!!!! On top of everything, it looks like my AC doesn't work like it used to (98XJ with the ac never serviced)....

To cover some questions: windows down cooling is not an option for an AC as I am stuck in traffic at crawl speed for next two hours and in order for the windows down to work you need to move at a decent speed.....

So what do I do? Add freon? The air coming out at max is cool but not cold like it was last summer.... during winter time it wasn't as noticeable and I didn't really pay attention, but now that if finally got warm here in SoCal and it's not full summer yet I'm realizing that I should do something....

Kejtar

Your FSM is your friend. :D :angel:

test gauge freon and vac pump!

You need a vac pump KEJ, if you dont evacuate the system it wont take much freon. You should be able to go to any a/c shop and have them recover it for very little money!:bunny:

If you find that it is low....find the leak. It is possable that you have a small amount of seepage, but if you got a leak, make sure you fix it first. Otherwise any extra refrigerant you add will leak out over the summer...if that long. I am not a A/C expert but that is what I was told when mine failed......of course you know my solution.......:roflmao:

Rev

I don't think I got a leak... I think it's a time issue.... The AC has not been serviced since the beginning..... It still kind of cools things down... if it isn't that hot out side that is :)
Kejtar

On my 88 there is a sight glass that you can see the freon moving. If you see air bubbles then you are low and quite possibly have a leak. I was having the same prob with it being cool but not cold and the mechanic showed me the sight glass, SO instead of charging i switched to the 134a ( i still had r12) and now it is ice cold on low on the hottest day at the lowest speed and freezing cold on the highest. When messing with the AC i would let a shop do it

Go to Wal Mart and buy the gauge. It has instructions on the package. If you're low on refridgerant, then you have a leak; otherwise, it wouldn't be low. If you determine that it's low, go back to Wal Mart and buy a can or two of refridgerant and a hose. Take a chance on it being a slow leak. If that doesn't work out then you can get more serious or take it to a shop.

Start it up, turn the ac on max, open the hood and watch the compressor, if it cycles more than 5 times in a minute you are low on freon. The kits come in two flavors, one comes complete with 3 gauges and is a complete service package, about $80 or so. The other is a simple hose, the one I have is made by 'Interdynamics' model number MB-134CS labled as a R-134a recharge kit. You will also need a can of 134a refrigerant, same company and it comes in two sizes, 13oz and 26oz.
To use you screw the piercing vale onto the can, make sure the needle is backed out, you don't want to penetrate the can yet. Thread the hose onto the valve you just screwed in. Attach the snapon fitting to the LOW PRESSURE schrader valve. Engine is running while you do this, the low pressure side will be the colder of the two, schrader valve looks like a tire valve. Screw the T handle into the can till it pierces then back it out. You will feel the can get real cold once the stuff starts to get sucked into the system. Once the can is empty you are done, takes about 4 minutes.
With the 3 gauge setup use the FSM to locate the 3 ports, low pressure, high pressure and service port near firewall. Some of the refills have a leak sealer in them that works so-so but they also have one with a flourscent dye in it that will let see the leaky area with a black light. A leak could be as simple as a connector or as bad as an evaporator.
I need to get mine checked, I end up refilling it 2x a year with the 13oz cans. Once the weather warms up again I'll top it off, then it usually takes another can around august

THanks to all.... I went to Kragen and I bought the new recharge kit ($19.99... new packaging and higher capacity then the old $29.99 setup) with the gauge.... I was just below the normal level and I dumped the whole can in. I don't think that I have a leak, as I would have had a loooot less if I did.... I guess a 5 year old XJ with ac used almsot every day was entiled to a refill, especially since it hasn't really cooled right since last summer...

ANyways... now that i dumped that can in there... it's chilly :) :) I actually saw penguins walk up to it in a parking lot trying to get in to cool down.
Kejtar

Be aware that overcharging the AC is bad. If it's overcharged, you end up trying to compress liquid refridgerant. When optimally charged, the temp on the inlet and outlet of the evaparator will be the same.

Back