• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Speaker Size?

karter74

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have an 87 Laredo with the Jensen Premium audio system. After looking through a Chiltons wiring manual I found that not only do I have speakers in the front doors and the rear hatch, but 2 speakers in the lower part of the dash (I always wondered why there was little grills there, DUH!) Anyway, I plan on replacing all the speakers in the car (So far they are all 5 1/4) but I don't know the size of the ones in the dash. Any help?

The ones in the dash aren't actual full size speakers they are just "tweeters." Can't help ya on size cause I dont have any.

Right...those are tweeters. I installed three way speakers and just disconnected the stock tweeters.

Depends if you go my route and install three-way speakers or separate components. I don't think size will really matters as all tweeters are kinda the same small size...give or take a 1/2 inch. If you install new tweeters take out to old and I think you can use the same bracket...I'm just a little foggy on how the tweeters are attached.

On a 91, those locations will accommodate standard 3-1/2" inch speakers. It's probably the same on a 87.

Lots of manufacturers make 3-1/2"s.

I just took out the tweaters (2") and put in new 4" speakers ($10). Had to build a new holddown strap out of sheet metal. Also put in new 3-way, 5 1/4 ($20)in the doors and new 6" in the back ($19.50). Bought all the speakers off Ebay (cost listed included shipping). Speakers can handle the 180 Watt stereo system pretty well, but hooked up a power amp to the 6" and bass distortion was bad so I took out the amp.

While not to side step the org. Q. Whats the thought of putting some speakers in there & wiring them to the CB ?
Just a thought !!
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back