• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 will start but won't run?

Colin Bray

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 sport that I let sit for about two months. The battery died as it sat. I jumped it and it ran fine, and i let it idle for about 20 min. The next time it started kinda hard so it let it sit for about 15 minutes. I went back out to shut it down, and decided to tap the gas pedal. It died right away. So I started it again, and now it won't stay running unless I give it a little gas. It never had any problems before i let it sit, and it only has 50k miles on it. help.

the little green light on the battery doesn't seem to want to light up ever though I thought I was letting the battery charge.

when I left interior lights on and had a dead battery mine would not keep running without a foot on the gas untill it was charged. Maybe time for a new battery or put a charger on yours overnight.

My '01 did the same thing after I had the radio playing for like a whole day. It only happened 5 times on the drive home when i came to a stop, but after I drove it and the battery charged up, the jeep was fine and I never experienced it again. I heard it's not good to jump the newer XJs because the computer doesn't like it, so that could also contribute to the problem. I would suggest a new battery.

~Jeremy

Back