• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical gremlins forcing sale

rdawg

NAXJA Forum User
Last time the XJ was in Jepardy, the members of NAXJA saved me - so I could think of no better place to try it again.
Problem:
A few days ago my '90 lost wiper function - during the rain of course. Along with the wipers went the fan blower controls, radio, and turn signals (checking for brake lights tonight)

No blown fuses, Jeep runs fine, Auto trany shifts great, side power windows operate normally, speedo and tach, etc work fine.

Where do I go from here??

Thanks
RDAWG:confused:

Check to see if the fuses have power when the vehicle in in the run position. If they don't check to fusible links under the hood.

A bad ignition switch can also cause this. Not the lock cylinder, the switch that is mounted to the left of the steering column.

That happend to a friend of mine and his alt. was the culprit. If you have an Advanced Auto Parts store near you they can test it on the Jeep.

Thanks for replies - Jeep died tonight

Thanks for the replies on the electrical gremlins.

Things either got easier tonight - oh much harder - I was bringing the XJ home so I could diagnose this week (In a parking lot all weekend)

I had to jump start it - first time since new battery three years ago. Ran fine - still no turns signals etc.
Then after about twenty minutes, I pull the headlight switch and she dies.
I coast into a local establishment and give a weak attempt at an on the spot diagnosis. No blown fuses I could see.

Now I have basically NO Power - no dome light, no nothing. Tried to hook it up for another jump - but nothing.

Came home hoping for some help from the Chilton's manual, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thinking the for sale sign might read
'She was running when she quit'

All help is a preciated.

Rdawg

It sounds as if the battery cables might be bad. Make sure the cables are in good shape, and the battery terminals aren't corroded, then check the ground cable and the ground strap from the back of the engine to the firewall, and check the positive cable where it connects to the starter.

I have a feeling this is will not turn out to be such a serious problem, harder to find than to fix.

i had all of my internal electrical go out about 2 months ago.....

The main 10ga power wire in the bulkhead connector, behind the fuse box was competely corroded from its connector.....

Matt is the lucky winner on the web diagnosis for the lack off running. Cleaned all terminals and retightened the block ground and the 'ol XJ made it home.

I will continue the work tomorrow. Starting with the alternator, then on to the fuse box. I checked a couple of the fuseablelinks tonight to get it going, they seemed OK - just looked for an open circuit and found none.

Thanks again for the help - the weekend is looking brighter for Keeping the XJ a while longer.

Thanks all
Rdawg

Good luck! If I can help let me know. Where are you by the way?

New Alternator - no change

I've been sitting on a high output alternater for about 4 months -
So took a Shot and swapped it out tonight.

It didn't fix the Turnsignal, wiper, Blower Motor issue, but the vehicle has a shorter crank time, and runs smoother from idle.

Brake lights are wooking now too, or perhaps my wife didn't know what I was asking when I asked if they worked?!?

The diagnositics continue tomorrow night

By the way Ghost - I'm in Michigan with my '90 XJ that I brought up from Arizona with me, so I appreciate the offer, but don't expect more than the 'good' word from the South.

Hopefully tomorrow night will yeild better results.
I plan on attacking the fuse box, since I checked most of the fuseable links when I r&r'd the battery cables

Everybody sleep well
Rdawg

Ignition switch

Runnin on Empty - question about the ignition switch

I did replace that about 5 years ago when I thought it was the reason for my intermitent no- starts, (turned out to be a neutral safety switch issue)

Is there an easy diagnostic for the ig switch check. I was thinking I do have some isseus with 'key up' and times. So maybe you'r eon to something. Do I have to take it all the way down to the column again? I remember that being a pain?

Thanks
PT

startet solenoid switch

OK,
On the '90 Cherokee there is a starter soleniod switch box on the passenger fender near the battery.

Battery voltage and the alternator run to it and a number of fuseale links run out.

If that has failed - could this be the source of the missing power to my acc(2) circuits. I have no power to the fuse box for the above missing acc. SEE Original post

I can't get a pin out for the box - so I don't know how much voltage should be coming out of any of the terminals

anybody go a line on this one?
Thanks
Rdawg

Back