• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Cruise Control

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've heard a lot about the cruise kits from JCWhitney, have a lot of you guys used them? Also, if you have did you get the vacuum or electronic one? And....how do they set up, I mean like what is all involved?
TIA

So it's looking like no one has used these? Does anyone know of another place to get one and have you installed it?

I had one I got from Sears Auto catalog back in 1994. I think it was made by Audiovox, and I'm sure it was the same as what Whitney sells but at the time Sears price was better. The one I got was an OEM look-alike that included a replacement turn signal stalk (this was for an 88 XJ). It is vacuum operated, like the original. It worked fine for 9 years, then the plastic housing for the speed sensor at the transfer case broke and I was felt with no cruise and no speedo. I removed the speed sensor (it went between the speedo cable and the transfer case) to get the speedo back, but I haven't pursued a replacement part to get the cruise working again.

So on that kit, was the install difficult? I like the fact that it is vacuum like the original would have been, just wondering about the install. Thanks.

You should really look on the web to see if you can find an OEM version. (You may have already done this, bringing you to this course of action) They are so simple to install. The aftermarket ones are a little bit more intailed in putting them in, but not hard. I installed an aftermarket one into an old camaro that I had and it took awhile. It worked with good results until I sold the car about 4 years later. I'm pretty sure I used and bought mine also at sears.

Alex

I've looked around and can't seem to find an oem one. I have a friend that works at a stealership and he says they don't make them for that old a one anymore. I think I'll have to do an aftermarket one. A place here in town wants 270 to put the identical one on thats on JCWhitney. May have to take that route unless the one from their website is real easy to put on. Suggestions?

4-cylinder OEM 87-90 Kits are still available...I just bought one for my 6-cylinder MJ. There are 2 or 3 small component differneces, including the cable to the TB, lower speedo cable and one other item I forget.

I have had one of the electric models on my Cavalier for about a year with no problems. Pretty easy install, took me less than two hours (I am easily distracted). Speed seems to flucuate +/- 3 mph on the set speed, this may be due my car though (4cyl/5spd).
Over all I am happy with it. Much better than the oem price.

What year do you have? I have a new cruise set, fits xx-96 (have to check the exact years). I just bought the wrong one.
PM if interested.
Nathan

I've got a 1990. I may go with the oem one if that site has them. Thanks.

YOu might try to find one in a bone yard. They may want you to buy the whole steering column though just to get the clock spring. Wait your xj has the controls on the turn signal stalk dosn't it? If so then you wont have a clock spring.

Ya its on the turn signal stalk. What all would I need to grab if go that route?

Cruise servo (totally intact) - 3 M8 screws and a fiddly clip thing on the throttle linkage;
Brake pedal switch - 1/2 turn and wiggle out;
New indicator/ cruise stalk.

Erm, I think that's it...

Mind how you go with it though - there's lots of little bits that could fly off and get lost or break, and you'll probably have to remove the washer bottle to get at the servo: it's not the most accessible thing.

Last edited:
is it possable to put the stalk-type controler on a model
that was designed for the wheel buttons? What year did they
change? (my 96 has the blanks in the wheel, you know down
where you cant possibly reach without taking your hands off the wheel..)

Back