• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil weeping from head gasket...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
My '98 4.0 w/98k seems to be "weeping" oil from the passenger side head gasket. I gunked the top of the motor to prep for a valve cover gasket replacement, but after about two weeks I noticed that the oil was seeping from the block/head area. Very, very little, not even beginning to run down the side of the motor.

The engine runs as if it was showroom, mobil 1 changes every 2.5k miles, no steam from exhaust, no loss of coolant, no foaming of coolant, no crap in oil, really no sign whatsoever of any damage to head gasket. Perfect idle, normal temperature guage readings, if anything a bit cooler now that the weather has changed, usual great acceleration.

I ran a search and someone mentioned that the oil galleys are on the passenger side and this is not anything to worry about. Can someone verify this or provide info about the seriousness of this weeping?

Thanks,

Mike #300

mikeny59 said:
My '98 4.0 w/98k seems to be "weeping" oil from the passenger side head gasket. I gunked the top of the motor to prep for a valve cover gasket replacement, but after about two weeks I noticed that the oil was seeping from the block/head area. Very, very little, not even beginning to run down the side of the motor.

The engine runs as if it was showroom, mobil 1 changes every 2.5k miles, no steam from exhaust, no loss of coolant, no foaming of coolant, no crap in oil, really no sign whatsoever of any damage to head gasket. Perfect idle, normal temperature guage readings, if anything a bit cooler now that the weather has changed, usual great acceleration.

I ran a search and someone mentioned that the oil galleys are on the passenger side and this is not anything to worry about. Can someone verify this or provide info about the seriousness of this weeping?

Thanks,

Mike #300

The oil passages are on the right side of the engine, but the head gasket seals them so if it's leaking from there I suspect there must be a small leak in the gasket. I wouldn't worry about it since it is leaking out, instead of leaking into the cylinders or mixing with the coolant, unless it gets worse.

The right side is considered the passenger side, isn't it? It's seeping from the distributor side. I can't see under the manifolds, but I can't say I crawled under and looked either.

Can the head bolts be retorqued?

Thanks,

Mike #300

You could check the head bolts. Set a torque wrench to the proper torque and make sure thay are tight. Tha passenger side is the right side (correct).

Thanks for the help. I wish I new it wasn't the valve cover gasket, paid $30ish for it at the dealer, and then I read in the FSM it's reusable. And it hasn't leaked at all since I gunked the top of the motor. And I opened the package so it's all mine, forever :mad:

I'm not gonna worry about the seepage, no other signs of a problem.

Agian, I appreciate your responses.

Mike #300

Back