• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

center console removal

Grizzley

NAXJA Forum User
Found a mint center console. Need to know where they hid all the screws to remove it. Any hidden ones or a place it's not attached with a screw? Any tricks to getting it out? Couldn't find anything in "search" under center console removal and the repair manuals I have only deal with the overhead console. I appreciate any help you got to give. :D Oh yeah, DUH, this is on an 88.

the only one I can think of that is hidden is under the transfer case indicator bezil.

Okay, I recently did this in my '89...

Screws are under the bezels and trim pieces. So first you remove the shifter (if it's an auto just push up on the T with force, it will pop off, hit you in teh forhead, and land in the passenger area footwell). Once you do that pull the shifter's bezel out (Just hook a finger into it and pull straight up), then remove the transfer case bezel (same way). You'll find screws there, remove those boys. The black part of the console needs to be removed (where the parking brake goes), you'll find screws for that (four I think...), and more screws underneth it for the main console. Then I think there's screws in the console box itself, just pop the lid and remove them (although I may be thinking of the Neon...).

Anyway, once you do that just pull it up and out. Makes it easier to shift it to 1-2 range to get that shifter out of the way.

If you have a stick I'm sure it'll be roughly the same...just not sure offhand how the shift knob comes off a stick...

Sequoia

Seq and Ben, Thanks! I hate to mess up this beauty, even the lid is in great shape. They always seem to hide a screw or a connection or two somewhere and was just trying to save some anguish. :D I've had the auto handle off on mine once. Wasn't a pretty picture. That thing should have a disclaimer! hahaha

Back