• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel hop on tight turns.

JamesBond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I'm a new(ish) owner of a 98, 2dr, 5sp, 4.0, command track all stock cherokee. I've been lurking for a month or so and this is my first post. When turning in tight circles (parking lots, u-turns etc.) I notice that my front wheels sort of bind and hop. I'm new to live axles and 4wd and was wondering if this is normal or not and how I can fix it. Also these things seem to have a really tight turning radius, does this contribute to the problem? Thanks in advance

JamesBond

In general, a vehicle with a lot of caster angle will act like this because when the wheel is turned sharply the front wheels are at an incline to forward travel.

However, I usually just hear some squealing. No hop. Are you using 4WD on pavement?

Does this happen in 2wd, or just 4wd? It will happen in 4wd because Commandtrak is not intended for use on dry pavement. If it is happening in 2wd, then something is amiss.

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is in 2wd, and it only happens if I am near full lock.

JamesBond

I would get the front end checked out for proper toe alignment, castor angle & worn ball joints. It is a place to start, anyway. Is the hopping in tight turns under heavy throttle, or gentle rolling?

It only happens when I'm in the parking lot making 3 pt turns or some such thing. In normal driving it pulls a little to the right and the steering is a little off center. I suppose an alignment is due but I think I'll wait till I get new tires as the current ones are pretty worn. Is an alignment something I could do myself? Thanks for your help.

JamesBond

Back