• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problem

FOXxX

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ Sport (stock) and I recently slid off the road and hit the only Boulder on the side of the road for miles. I did extensive damege to the Axle Housing, Left Side Crtol Arms and Tie rod. I have replaced with a new front end and since the accident my tranny will not go into park. All the other gears work great. I checked the linkage and seems to be untouched by the accident. Any suggestins?

I would guess from the impact your linkage my have been set off. If you go below he jeep you will find the shiftr linkage try seeing if you can shift thru all the gears manually with yuor hands icluding park. Make sure someone is in the car to pressing the brake and the parking brake is fully engaged.

pete

If you look under the transmisison under the driver side i beleive there is a small arm coming out of the tranny. I would disconnect the linkage attached to the arm and try to shift it by hand.

pete

Sounds to me like when you hit the rock the front end pushed the front axel back. Then the front drive shaft pushed the transfer case back. That in turn pulled the transmission back. Now the relation of the shift linkage to the transmission is off. Find what is bent or broken and replace or fix it.

JoBo

Mine has never been wrecked and it does the same thing sometimes. I think mine is in the steering lock or whatever when you turn the key on and try to depress the button to release from park and when putting it back into park. Maybe something got jarred up in there.
Just a thought.

Cory

well i figured out the problem... I bent the bracket for the linkage at the tranny causing it to not go forward enough to throw into park pos. Simple fix... glad no money was involved.... Thanks for the input

Back