• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering making noises at full lock

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
My 1996 Sport 4.0L (164,000 miles) makes a slight whirring (as best as I can describe it) sound when taking tight turns. I figured it was an extra load being placed on the power steering since I was hitting near full lock. Reciently the sound has started to continue even after I finish my turn. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough for me to start wondering if I need to replace something.

Standard suspension, 235/75 R15's . I checked, but didn't find anything in a search,

Thanks,
Copperhead

this is the best I could come up with - could this be your problem?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24581&highlight=steering+whine

My steering whines, but only occasionally on tight turns, and a little more after wheeling. But then again, after wheeling, I'm listening a little harder to make sure I didn't break anything.

I think you don't want to operate the pump at full lock for more than a second or two. someone back me up?

copperhead said:
I figured it was an extra load being placed on the power steering since I was hitting near full lock. Reciently the sound has started to continue even after I finish my turn.
Which is it ... is it "near" full lock, or are you turning TO full lock? Turning the wheel TO full lock is hard on the steering box and pump, because the system is hydraulically locked. This can cause the fluid to foam, and when that happens you get a lot of whine.

When turning, if you turn right to the stop, just relax and back off the steering wheel a fraction of a degree -- you should hear the pump give a sigh of relief.

Which is it ... is it "near" full lock, or are you turning TO full lock?

It does is near full lock and gets worse at full lock. I usually don't turn to full lock unless trying to get out of a tight spot or while doing a 3-point turn. I just checked it while sitting in the driveway, and it starts while I have about 2-3" left of travel in the steering wheel before full lock. This noise happens when making sharp turns in parking lots. When I let off and straighten the wheels, the noise continues until I shut off the Jeep. Once I start back up, everything is fine. It doesn't happen all the time, but is getting more frequent.

-Copperhead

Back