• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SNOW RUN - BIG BEAR, This Saturday!!!

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have an issue with my schedule and I am unable to make the run on the 11th. I want to go up and wheel THIS SATURDAY. I am looking for a few others to come out and play. There is still snow onthe ground so it will be icy, snowy, and muddy. The meeting place will be the same. The trails can be decided at the discovery center, but I have Holcomb in the run details below. I understand that Holcomb was impassable last week. Maybe someone can suggest/lead another trail. I am told that Gold Mountain is a decent trail to run, especially in the snow.

Here are the "details":

Day Run

Required Equipment:
Solid recovery points front and rear (tow hooks, shackles/d-rings, receivers), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, snatch strap (no chains, no strap with metal hooks), full size spare tire and all necessary hardware.

Meeting Place:
Big Bear Discovery Center (http://www.bigbear.info/), 8:00 AM 12/4/04

Planned trails for Saturday:
Holcomb Creek (3N93) running West to East, enter Holcomb via alternate route 2N06X.

Gold Mountain has been requested.

CB Channel:
Primary, 4; alternate, 14

Day Run
Trail Leader, Saturday:
Robert Prater (rpratexj) - Unless someone else wants to lead.

Sounds like fun. I'd do it, but I think I'm looking to do more of the rocks kinda of thing right now.

Isn't getting in and out of that area a bit of a hassle right now? With the ski crowd and all?

--ron

Traffice is not too bad since we will meet at 8:30. I plan on leaving the trail and heading home around 4, which is about an hour before the slopes close.

I was up there about 3 weeks ago and the traffic was not bad. I talked to a couple people that went up over Thanksgiving weeekend and they said it was not bad, considering the holiday.

If you change your mind about the rocks, come on up and join me.

Robert

Yep, I am more disappointed than anyone. I am still continuing to try to get out of it. There is a very small chance I can. In any case, I will be going up this Sat. If I can swindle my way out of working, I will be there next weekend as well.

I am still looking for some additional rigs for this Saturday. I only have 2, maybe 3 going.

Sorry to let anyone down, but I know that there are many people still going next weekend.

BTW, I will be at the M&G in Fullerton tonight.

Robert

rpraterxj said:
Traffice is not too bad since we will meet at 8:30. I plan on leaving the trail and heading home around 4, which is about an hour before the slopes close.

I was up there about 3 weeks ago and the traffic was not bad. I talked to a couple people that went up over Thanksgiving weeekend and they said it was not bad, considering the holiday.

If you change your mind about the rocks, come on up and join me.

Robert

ummmmm.... We were up there last weekend (Saturday) and it took us 2 and a half hours to get down the mountain...

so yeah... "not bad" ??? hmmmm I think differently

I agree, over 2 hours is crazy. But they guy I talked to said it was better than the 4 hours that a friend of his spent driving down the hill on a holiday weekend before.

LiquidOps said:
ummmmm.... We were up there last weekend (Saturday) and it took us 2 and a half hours to get down the mountain...

so yeah... "not bad" ??? hmmmm I think differently

Are you willing to go this weekend?

RP

OK. What time is the party? Come up, play for a couple of hours, then fly down and go..... :laugh3:

Have a great party!

ANybody else interested? I have a couple of guys meeting me up at the discovery center around 8:00.

Anybody from OC going and want to meet and convoy up the hill?

RP

Hey everyone,

Went to BB today to play in the snow. I waited for about an hour and only 1 other person showed up, Shane Preter (from San Diego) with his Wrangler Sport (4", 33" Swampers). Neither one of us knew alot about the trails but we went to look at 3N16. It was not too bad, at first, so we proceeded. I purchsed a map and a trail book at the Discovery Center and they proved to be invaluable.

There was plenty of snow, ice, and mudd. After a couple of miles, we got into soem soft snow. I had use a shovel a couple of times to dig out around the tires. We take 3N16 around to 3N14. 3N14 had lees snow, but more mudd. We continued down 3N14 to 3N08 (Holcomb Creek). I knew the hill at the crek crossing would be icy so we went to take a look. The creek was frozen at the crossing and the hill right all ice on the right side. I slowly drove onto the iced over creek to get a better look. All of a sudden the ice broke. I had crossed this area before and I knew the depth was only about 16 inches. So I went on and tried to clinb the hill anyways. No luck! My tires were spinning forward and I was sliding backwards. My right rear dropped into a hole. My rear tire stuffed up against the fendy and popped the flare and bumper cap loose. Shane also gave it a try, but no way. So we turned around, we only wanted to try hat hill. Even if we would have made it, I would not attempt that trail with only 2 non-locked Jeeps.

We went the opposite direction on 3n08 and took it back over to Holocmb Valley. The sun had been shinning all morning and the snow was melting so there was plenty of mud. We stopped at the junction of 3N16 and 3N10 (way to John Bull) because I heard a noise coming from my Jeep. My rear fender flare had come all of the way off and was being held on by 1 bolt. I removed it and the bumper cap. This was the only problem we encountered.

The snow was still over a foot deep. escpecially on the back side of the trails we the sun does not get to melt it away.

I did take a few pictures and will post them in the next day or so.

We are going back next weekend. There is a run announcement on the site.

Thanks,

Robert

Here are a few pics from todays run. Notice the 2WD dodge truck that was frozen in the mud puddle that he got stuck in.

RP

Back