• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nss

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, heres the deal. Sometimes when I shut the jeep off it wont start again unless I shut it put it in neutral. Now my back up lights aren't working. Neutral saftey switch right? So I go to the dealer--$305!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the auto parts store $280!!!!!!! Is there anything else I can check or do besides buying a new one. If I have to change it, you can do it without removing the valve body right? Just drop the pan? It's a 97 AW4.

What rocks more is taking it apart, cleaning it, putting it back together for under $10.

Search is your friend.

Did you get a chance to clean it yet? I just did my g/f's on her 98...took about 20 minutes...and it fixed the problem. Good luck.

I did this on my stepson's '93 and it was a very easy job, except for getting the switch off the shaft on the transmission. On a 97 this might not be too bad, but beware of corrosion, and do it carefully. The switch has a hollow shaft, made of aluminum, into which the shaft from the transmission goes. The switch's shaft is split and tapered, and clamped over the inner shaft by a nut. If corrosion seizes the shafts together, do not try to pry the split shaft open. It will break very quickly. Get lots of lube on it, and try, if possible to move it in a little before pulling it out again. Sometimes if you loosen the nut, then put a vise-grips on the nut, you can tap outward on the vise-grips to jar it loose, though clearance is tight. Just be really careful at that stage. Once it's off, the rest of the job is a piece of cake.

It's great that you can fix them this way. I was really shell shocked the first time I researched replacing mine. Issue turned out to be something else altogether..bad cable adjustment.

However, while under the vehicle at one point (leaks), I realized that somwhere along the line someone replaced the NSS and left the old one dangling under the Jeep. I have a spare, still attached!

Scott

I Emailed one of the people selling the switches on ebay and he said that they are brand new, not rebuilds or anything like that, so if you do happen to break it, thats going to be your best bet. I cleaned mine about 6 months ago and it has worked well since, only problem is that I get intermitten reverse lights, just gonna have to pull it apart again!

Josh

Here's a tip from an old slot car racer. Clean the copper contacts with an pencil eraser then remove all residue. Lubricate with the dielectric stuff on the jeepin.com website. Really easy!!

willysnut said:
Here's a tip from an old slot car racer. Clean the copper contacts with an pencil eraser then remove all residue. Lubricate with the dielectric stuff on the jeepin.com website. Really easy!!

I was wonderin about that. Thats how I clean my cell phone contacts and was wondering if it would work. Thanks for the tip.

I just did this and used the info from jeepin.com. Worked great, took about the 2 hrs claimed, and most of that was being thorough with the cleaning and gettin the stinkin thing off the tranny. Cost me $12.81 including grease, wire brush, sandpaper, carb cleaner and beef jerky...

Back