PDA

View Full Version : Snow Run 12/18/04

XJourney
November 29th, 2004, 18:52
Bring it stock or not.
Lets do an unoffical snow run on Saturday Dec 18th upto Jacks Pass.
Not sure on meeting place or time yet.

Mandatory equipment:
Recovery points
Extra Cloths and food
Recovery strap
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit
Good additude

Suggested equipment:
Shovel
CB
Spare parts
Tire chains
Hi lift jack
Warm cloths

I figure we will go as far as we can have Lunch and play around then head back down. So dress warm maybe even bring a sled or two. It will be a family friendly event.

So who all is coming?
I am for one

smallxj
November 29th, 2004, 22:32
i may attend i have got a 91 xj lockers front and rear and 35mtrs and a winch i am going to try to attend if work lets me. We could meet at Dennys or Buzz in in Monroe and get some breakfest before heading out its just a suggestion

CW
November 29th, 2004, 22:56
Would someone enlighten me as to where jacks pass is? It may be too far of a drive for my jeep since I am planning on lockers then and I'm not sure how well they will agree with the snow on the roads.

XJourney
November 30th, 2004, 00:11
It is on US-2 By Stevens pass in WA. Correct??

Dennys would be fine with me.
I am going to need some directions.

Go with a leave time of 9:00 am
And an arrive time of 8:00 am for those who want breakfast.
Or something like that.

XJCasper
November 30th, 2004, 03:18
If work will let me out, I will be there. Now I just have to figure out where US-2 is.

CW
November 30th, 2004, 10:22
Ugh!, 347 miles and 5 hours and 35 minutes according to expedia. I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. Damn. It looks like I will be wheelin localy that weekend.

XJourney
November 30th, 2004, 11:03
Sorry to hear that but I defininty understand the long drive thing.

I don't actually know the Jacks Pass area, I heard that it is a great snow run. So we are looking for someone who knows the pass and would possibly like to lead.

smallxj
November 30th, 2004, 22:49
been there once if you can get to the main conjuction i know where a couple roads go but it would be better to find someone that has been there bmore than me didx you happen to post this run on pnw?

CW
November 30th, 2004, 22:58
Minor hi-jack.

Do any of you PNW guys have this months Tri-Power? I'm on the cover and can't find a flipin' copy, which is kinda rediculous because my local club pres. is the editor.

cherokeekid
December 1st, 2004, 00:29
Minor hi-jack.

Do any of you PNW guys have this months Tri-Power? I'm on the cover and can't find a flipin' copy, which is kinda rediculous because my local club pres. is the editor.

Who Clay?

Lucky you

hards91xj
December 1st, 2004, 07:08
Your the one cought with your rear in a hole ,your on pg 5 also. :laugh3:

2xtreme
December 1st, 2004, 09:18
I have been up to Jacks Pass a couple of times years ago now and I can get us to the main entrance (Spider web of trails) And I have been down a few of them some distance before getting stuck with tons of vehicles in front of us. The best directions I can provide are this:

US HWY 2 is the Stevens Pass Hwy it goes from Everett WA on the West side to Wenatchee on the East side.

The town of Index is on your way up the West side of stevens pass and the entrace to Jacks Pass is just outside of Index. If you turn North at Index and follow that road all the way up to the end of the road that is it.

I will try to get some maps that we can use for more info.

Michael

2xtreme
December 1st, 2004, 09:43
I just looked at a couple of general maps that I have and could not find Jacks Pass on any of them so all of the info below is based on my memory and belief that I was at or near Jacks Pass until someone can prove me wrong or right.

I will probably be able to come and will be bringing my wife and 3 kids.

Michael

I have been up to Jacks Pass a couple of times years ago now and I can get us to the main entrance (Spider web of trails) And I have been down a few of them some distance before getting stuck with tons of vehicles in front of us. The best directions I can provide are this:

US HWY 2 is the Stevens Pass Hwy it goes from Everett WA on the West side to Wenatchee on the East side.

The town of Index is on your way up the West side of stevens pass and the entrace to Jacks Pass is just outside of Index. If you turn North at Index and follow that road all the way up to the end of the road that is it.

I will try to get some maps that we can use for more info.

Michael

CW
December 1st, 2004, 12:56
Your the one cought with your rear in a hole ,your on pg 5 also. :laugh3:Yeah, I took a bad line on an off-camber trail (the one in my avitar). My buddy riding with me was a little freaked out when I had to climb out my window. :) I havn't seen any of the pics yet. Someone want to scan them? I just need to bother Clay I think.

dellstopjeep
December 1st, 2004, 15:29
i would join you guys but im a little to south to make it at 9 am
i dont thinhk i have ever been up at 6 am before
i thkn my cherokee on 33's with 4.56 gears would be okay for the trails tho

CW
December 1st, 2004, 16:21
At least your in the same state. I would need to leave at 3:30am.

XJCasper
December 2nd, 2004, 01:52
Well, If I get the day off, I will be leaving from Olympia. I have not clue at what time. I don't get home from work until after midnight the previous evening.

XJCasper
December 5th, 2004, 02:10
I will be there. I have the day off. And my overtime has been eliminated from my schedule. I get my weekends back (Mon-Wed). I will have time to install my CB and Tow Hooks this weekend. Now I am working on the Full sized Spare.

crazyoffroader
December 13th, 2004, 12:50
How bad would a stock rig do up there(0" lift with 235's)? my 4dr 4wd is drivable, but I'd have to add on the tow hooks.

XJCasper
December 14th, 2004, 00:05
You have less than a week to get those tow hooks and give it a test. My 0" lift is running 30-9.5-15's

So are we going or what?

Jason

Outdoors
December 15th, 2004, 00:19
Jason,
I hope you guys up north get it together for this snow run.
Otherwise, it's just cyberwheelin'...:-(
Good Luck Guys.

XJCasper
December 15th, 2004, 01:12
Hmm...

New Plate. What do you think?

CYBRWLR
SIBRWLR

XJourney
December 15th, 2004, 02:12
Yea we are still planning on going.
I think that we have 3-4 rigs going
Mine
2Xtreme
JMotorsprt
Smallxj?

Anyone else?

We all want to meet at Denny's?
could someone post driections to Denny's?

2xtreme
December 16th, 2004, 11:44
I will be there, just let me kow which Denny's and what time (I assume Monroe?)

I will probably have another xj with me also, he is a naxja member but not active on the web.

Michael

XJourney
December 17th, 2004, 00:02
Alright we are meeting at Denny's at 9:00am on Saturday. It is right alone the Highway 2
Address is:18824 State Route 2, Monroe

If you are going to be late or are having trouble you can ring my cell at 1(360)220-6265

XJCasper
December 17th, 2004, 02:28
So, how is the snow up there? Anyone attempting to bring sleds? I don't think we will have enough room on our XJ. I will be there, I am still trying to coax my cousin. He was scheduled to work on Saturday.

2xtreme
December 17th, 2004, 09:00
Sounds great. I will have my xj and a friend will also be bringing his xj. None of either of our kids are coming though.

There should be plenty of snow up there and I would plan on bringing chains as well as sleds. But either way we will have plenty of fun. I will bring a couple of saucer sleds that I have.

See you guys in Monroe at Denny's.
Michael

paul_xj04
December 17th, 2004, 10:23
been there 6 times this month and part of last month. i know how to get there easily. depends if i show up if i can get the lockright in up front and it put back together by this weekend. its real easy to get there. you can follow reiter road all the way down to the town of index. go over the bridge and hang a left. follow that up and you might come up to a road closed sign. it means nothing and just go around it. keep on going up and eventually you will come to area where theres alot of ways to get lost its a area where theres side roads to go. take the first right when you get to this area. pretty much like a U turn it, leads all the way to the top. nothin fun up there and nothing to wheel just alot of snow and a major cliff to the left.

ill get back to you guys if im able to go.

2xtreme
December 17th, 2004, 13:54
Paul,
Thanks for the info. That is the place that I have been to in the past then. I know how to get there also.

Michael

XJCasper
December 17th, 2004, 20:25
My cousin is out, but I will be there with my wife and boys. Denny's at 9:00. Headed to bed soon if I plan to get up north that early. I usually don't get up for work until 11:00.

paul_xj04
December 18th, 2004, 20:23
Not a problem on the info

im sorry fellas but im not able to make this snow run. the 9" and 44 gear setup is setting me back alittle.

have fun and get some pix.

XJourney
December 18th, 2004, 21:10
No problems on not being able to make it this time Paul. I am pretty sure we will be going again soon.(Jan) You won't have to twist these guys arms to go again. Everybody had a great time, plus we had great weather and great snow. And of course we had a great bunch of guys, kids, and gal.

Hope everyone made it home safe, especially you Mike, with your trip home from NWfest and that your jeep was shedding parts even before we hit the snow. :laugh3:

We have pics and will post them later

Thanks to: Mike, Scott, Mark, Andie, Jason and his family.

PS Sorry no breakage for you guys, just a stuck throttle, lost mudflap, check engine light, and a flat tire.

Oh Jason did your check engine light ever come back on? I forgot to ask you.

2xtreme
December 18th, 2004, 22:41
I will have you know I made it all the way home with nothing broken (and the mud flap is already fixed and back on the jeep) :)

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful time. I am definietly up for it again around the January time frame. We can put some dates together after the holidays.

Who got the flat tire? When? Did I miss all of the fun?

Scott did make it home but his oil pressure was dropping fast. Not sure of the all of the detials yet, hope everyone else made it home safely.

I will put all of our info together soon, I do not know who started the NAXJA North West list of people but you might want to add any of these names to that master list? Just a thought.

Michael

XJourney
December 18th, 2004, 23:04
Mark got a flat before the day even started.

XJCasper
December 19th, 2004, 12:28
Finally made it home around 10:00 and the whole family fell asleep in front of the fireplace.

Once the "Check Engine" light was cleared, never had another problem. Looks like it was the altitude issue.

Thank you all. It was nice to find out that the local XJ owners are such a nice group. On the way home I figured out why it felt a little awkward at times. I work with people that are overly self centered. For our family, it was a great first experience to teach us what issues we need to handle.

Speaking of issues...

Dakota Leaf packs - Does it matter if the rig it 2 or 4wd? Are they rated any different.

Will start to save pics in the next 24 hours.
Thank you
Jason

XJourney
December 19th, 2004, 13:11
No it doesn't matter whether the dakota is 2wd or 4wd. They are the same leaf spring just that the 4wd is a spring over and the 2wd is a spring under.
You need 87-96 Dakota rears. the newer the better. As far as rating there are 3 and 5 leaf packs if Im not mistaken. I got the 5 leaf pack and that worked great for me. Oh and don't forget longer U-bolts

Glad your check engine light didn't come back on. :repair:

Yea they are a bunch of great guys that think of the group first and themselves second :sunshine:

XJCasper
December 19th, 2004, 19:29
Longer U-Bolts? Off of the Dakota? Or at a Hardware/Auto parts store? Eventually, could blocks or an Add-a-leaf be used with the Dakota springs down the road?

I forgot to ask? I have read about using the ZJ springs on the XJ. We were discussing using the 3-3.5" springs or spacers. With all of the good stuff I have heard about RE, I have that engraved in the subconcious. If not RE, what other springs would be recommended to use?

I don't know if I will have enough Leave Time saved up by January to run back up, but my cousin wants to come along. My oldest son and Danielle are interested in heading up next month.

Thank you guys.

2xtreme
December 19th, 2004, 22:18
Most definetly a great group of people to go wheeling with!! I have enjoyed every event. We just need more of them. With time this will continue.

As far as the U-bolts go, it is best to get new ones, you could probably get away with the ones off the Dakota but they are usually not designed to be used more than once. Yes, you can always add other AAL's, stock leafs, blocks, or longer shackles down the road to increase/decrease height and load capability. I do not know much about the grand cherokee rear springs but I would not expect much lift out of them, maybe just stiffer spring rate (more load capacity).

For the front I would recommend any 3" lift coils (you can put spacers in later if you want them). RE is good, Rusty's is good, just about anything will be very comperable to each other for the front coils. Look out for a used set on NAXJA people are always upgrading from 3" to go higher. Should be able to pick them up for about 1/2 price compared to new.

We will look into some dates for Jan and Feb so that we can get another snow run in or two. The more the merrier. I was thinking for a little different run we could try the old stevens pass highway (just a little higher up the pass than we were this last weekend). Reasonably flat, probably tons of snow I am just not sure how far it goes or if it goes all the way over the pass or not anymore. Other ideas are always welcome also.

Thanks for a great time,
Michael

XJourney
December 19th, 2004, 23:23
I am good for Jan and Feb minus Feb11-13 I will be in Leavenworth on a romantic weekend with the wife. :kissyou:

The old steven pass highway sounds good to me. But is there any landslides to crawl over. :wierd:

XJCasper
December 20th, 2004, 01:07
The Slide was fun to watch you guys play with.

XJourney
December 20th, 2004, 13:32
I think your wife liked to play on the slide also :laugh3:

kc7bur
December 20th, 2004, 13:42
The old Stevens pass hwy goes up a little further past the train track, then theres a foot bridge across a wash out.
Theres some nice views from the South side of Skykomish, if its not gated. Theres one spot overlooking Skykomish, and you can see mt Glacier and see down the Sky river valley. Its at a communication site, About 5000'.

Sniggs
December 20th, 2004, 14:01
Do I detect a Volunteer Guide??

Hey Michael! Looks like I got the registration thing straightened out!

Sniggs
December 20th, 2004, 14:08
What? Is this a Volunteer Guide for our next adventure?

XJCasper
December 20th, 2004, 14:34
I think your wife liked to play on the slide also :laugh3:

Ya, she had a big smile going there.

I am debating my lift today. I just can't make up my mind what way to go.

Randy's has their 3" springs for 100.00, but they also have a sale on their 4.5" springs for 100.00. The best price on the RE Superflex 3.5" with full leaf packs I have found is 470. 250 for a Superride AAL. One salvage yard I called wants 130 for the set of Dakota leafs.

Sniggs
December 20th, 2004, 14:52
Ya, she had a big smile going there.

I am debating my lift today. I just can't make up my mind what way to go.

Randy's has their 3" springs for 100.00, but they also have a sale on their 4.5" springs for 100.00. The best price on the RE Superflex 3.5" with full leaf packs I have found is 470. 250 for a Superride AAL. One salvage yard I called wants 130 for the set of Dakota leafs.
I have the picture - If I could post, I would show you...

Sniggs
December 20th, 2004, 17:35
Do my replies work?

XJourney
December 20th, 2004, 18:07
Yea the one thing you think about is that it costs alot more to go 4.5 inches then 3 inch. Like Mike said you can do 3" with only front springs and a rear aal. Plus with 3" you probably can get away without a SYE.

And $130 seems steep for dakota springs

KC7BUR: So by saying foot bridge are you saying we can't drive across using the old Stevens pass highway. But we can go up from the Skykomish side?
Or am I confused :wierd:

Yes Mr-sniggley we see you loud and clear

Sniggs
December 21st, 2004, 14:41
Yes Mr-sniggley we see you loud and clear

Thank you - that was quite a delay in seeing my posts.

2xtreme
December 21st, 2004, 16:58
Yes, the difference in price between the 3" and 4.5" lift will be significant. Trackbar, SYE, Drivshaft, break lines, etc, etc. Stick with the 3" lift

Can not wait to see pic's!!

Yes, I would be more than happy to trail lead again, Maybe that way I can go up farther:) I am up for either the same trip again in Jan or maybe stevens pass old hi way.

Michael

XJourney
December 21st, 2004, 18:10
You might have to arm wrestle me for lead position :sunshine:
Alright I guess I can share.
Yea we actually drove up another 50 yards after you guys lost sight of us.

I tried to send you pics last night, but they wouldn't go throught(too big). I will try again tonight. If not, I will send them from work.

Well after christmas lets get another one planned for Jan.
Hans

XJCasper
December 21st, 2004, 18:20
Hans,
I found out that the Diagnostic reader you have is supposed to work on all vehicles from 1996 and up. What brand is yours? I am thinking about pricing them out online. Very convenient to have.

Thank you.

As soon as I can get Michael's(sp?) e-mail address, I will try to download the pics and video footage I was able to take. I need to find my software to lighten some of them up.

After a flat tire I had on my wife's Van the other day, I am debating getting a compressor to mount in the Jeep. Maybe something like the Quickair 1 that is usable for up to 31" tires. Then add an air tank down the road to help the load.

Any input or feedback?

Jason

XJourney
December 21st, 2004, 18:28
Micheals email is:2xtremexj@comcast.net

2xtreme
December 21st, 2004, 21:55
Hans,
As soon as I can get Michael's(sp?) e-mail address, I will try to download the pics and video footage I was able to take. I need to find my software to lighten some of them up.

After a flat tire I had on my wife's Van the other day, I am debating getting a compressor to mount in the Jeep. Maybe something like the Quickair 1 that is usable for up to 31" tires. Then add an air tank down the road to help the load.

Any input or feedback?

Jason

Yes the e-mail is 2xtremexj@comcast.net I tried to e-mail you along with everyone else but yours came back??

Quickair's or Viair's (not sure of either spelling) are both good units. I know there are several differences in sizes and such. Any unit will do fine, except as you get larger tires it will just take longer to fill up (at least you can fill up) better than having to follow me on every trip:)

Looking foward to Jan, I think I will bring the wife and kids this time also, we will see.

Michael

XJCasper
December 21st, 2004, 22:46
Yes the e-mail is 2xtremexj@comcast.net I tried to e-mail you along with everyone else but yours came back??

Any unit will do fine, except as you get larger tires it will just take longer to fill up (at least you can fill up) better than having to follow me on every trip:)

:roflmao:

Air Compressor? Or CO2 tank? Where would we get a Co2 tank filled? Sorry for the stupid question.

E-mail:
JMMotorsports@comcast.net

2xtreme
December 22nd, 2004, 09:20
Personally I like the air compressor over the CO2 tank. But both have their advantages. C02 you would get from any welding supply store.

I will try that address. It is slightly different than what I have written down.

Thanks,
Michael

kc7bur
December 27th, 2004, 10:14
So did you guys make it over the 63/ 65 loop? (The pass)?
The old Stevens pass hyway is now the Iron Goat trail. I believe only foot access now, maybe mountain bike. I have old photos of buddies and me snow wheeling on the old hiway before it was blocked off. The road to the South is forest road 68, it goes up to the top of Sobieski mnt, about 5000'. There is a spur road that leads to a lower commo site below Sobieski, about 4000'. The 6830 along Tonga ridge is cool in the Summer, it overlooks Hwy 2, good dispersed camp spots up there.
When we lived in Monroe I was off work for 11 months due to an injury, but not injured enough to keep me from cruizing the local forest roads.
Stop in at the Forest service office in Sky and get a District map. Have a compass.

'89 Laredo 3" 225 X 15's. ( yup, so my chains fit).

'02 Kawi KLR 650, ('nuff said)

XJCasper
December 27th, 2004, 13:54
Where is Sky. I was new to the area.

Muddy_XJ
December 28th, 2004, 08:19
Skykomish - East of Goldbar on HW2, ranger station is on the east end of town opposite the RR tracks.

Sniggs
December 31st, 2004, 19:33
Finally!!! Here's a link to the photos on my web page. Sorry it took so long. Holiday has been a bit hectic! Enjoy!!

http://home.comcast.net/~mr_sniggly/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html