• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trac-lok equipped? and a strange noise, too

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm new to NAXJA, on the advice of somebody who said people over here actually know what they're talking about, and there's not so much arguing and quiveling (as compared to Jeeps Unlimited).

That being said, my 2 questions are as follows:

I want to know if I have trac-lok equipped on my 2001. I got its VIN, called Crap-PAR, and they said they don't know (which is total BS). Then the guy in service transferred me to parts, thinking they could answer my question based upon info from the axle. Turns out they, too, use the VIN, and they could not help me. I asked this 2nd guy if trac-lok and posi are the same, he said yes. I said so when my Jeep's on a lift, if I spin one tire forward, and the other one goes backwards, that means it's an open diff, right? He said no, posi will do that also. This is completely contrary to what I've understood since I was a very young kid, when one of my brothers first explained posi to me. Also, it seems contrary to the operation of a posi.

I did look on the sticker on my axle, located just inside the right-rear drum assembly. It was torn and dirty (I got into some mud this weekend!), but I could clearly make out the words "open diff". It may have had something before it, though, such as the word "not", that I couldn't make out. I'm assuming this means it's indeed an open diff - I guess it would say "trac-lok" if it were so equipped? By the way, it's a Chrysler 8.25", and the last 8 digits of the VIN are 1L558081.

My 2nd question is something that evolved after wheeling this weekend. I also had this problem with a '99 I had, but I never tracked the problem down before I totalled the Jeep. Basically, I hear a vibration coming from the rear of the Jeep. It sounds like something is loose, and seems to resonate only at lower engine speeds. It's coming from right underneath the floor in the back, just in front of the latch mechanism for the liftgate (it's not the plastic molding). It's not my fuel tank, nor my leaf springs, nor my exhaust, and everything else seems to be connected. I don't know what else could be sandwiched between the fuel tank and the floor - I was thinking maybe my fuel pump, but she runs just fine. I'm moving 2600 miles soon, and though this wasn't a problem on my '99, it makes me paranoid on this one. It seems a lot louder than I remember in the '99. As soon as I start the truck, I hear it, so it is not limited to normal operation.

Thanks for any constructive input you guys can give me. Thanks!

the trac lock will allow the wheels to spin in opposite directions

look in your glovebox for a sticker that says locking type differential. I did the "jack it up and turn the tires test." thought I was running an open diff, and one day when cleaning it out found the sticker stuck in the glove box.

this was after I had ditched the rear axle of course. I'm better off with the 8.8 anyway.

Put it in 4-Low, Now put in 1st or drive, turn the wheel all the way to the left, roll your winder down and give it a little gas. Look at your rear tire. Is it spinning and digging in? If you have Trac-Lok, the inside tire will spin at the same rpm as the outside tire. I have a Dana 44 w/ factory Trac-Lok. At least it works for me this way.

If you jack up the Jeep and spin 1 tire and the other tire spins the other way, you have an open diff.

Now I've never seen a diff tag that said open diff on it... that's interesting.

Pop the cover and find out for yourself what's in the diff. You say your doing a long road trip? Wouldn't hurt to change that oil... I'm sure you have more than 12 on it?

everybody has all of these fancy tests/ways check for track-loc....

why not check the old fashioned way, and gun it in some sand!

if you have it, both rear tires should spin

if not, then just one....most likely the back right will spin

:laugh3:

Should be the back left that spins, correct? Cuz when the motor revs, it torques the frame to the right, thus reducing weight on the left....

I would open it up and change the fluid - except I just did this last week!!! :( Can you explain to me what I might have seen to indicate it's a LS? I still remember (vaguely) what the inside looked like....

I have a donut spare, so I wonder if '01 was optio9ned similarly to a '99 - anybody know? (oh yeah, I have the Sport trim level, if that matters - no tow package - no cruise - donut spare - )

Ok, so which is it - if I have the rear end lifted, and I spin one tire, which way does the other one spin? I've got 2 answers here - one of which is concurrent with the retards at MOPAR, and the other from one of my brothers (and from deductive reasoning).....

The reason I'm so curious, by the way, is that my stock XJ handled Big Bear Mountain really f'ing well for being a stock XJ (with engine mods only). I don't know how I could have made it w/o traction control, but I sure as hell did.....I'll post some pics too, if you guys want.....

The noise cannot be the handle. I had the gate open when I was trying to find the noise, and it was definately not coming from the liftgate. This thought had crossed my mind though....

goodburbon said:
the trac lock will allow the wheels to spin in opposite directions.
This is true only if it is wrn out, or defective. A functional trac-lok will cause both rear wheels to spin in the same direction.

The fact that a bad trac-lok will mimic the behavior of an open diff means that the rotate the wheels test is not 100% certain. If the trac-lok works, you'll know you have it. If the wheels rotate in opposite directios, it doesn't mean that you don't have trac-lok.

If you have it, there should be a tag on the diff and a sticker in the glove box. And the dealer should be able to use your VIN to run a "build sheet", which is what will tell you if your XJ has trac-lok.

krakhedd said:
I would open it up and change the fluid - except I just did this last week!!!
i may not be all that much of a help here, but if you changed the diff fluid last week and have a track lock - your supposed to have an addative in there that does something different. The new gear oil is supposed to have this if you have a tracklock. I have one, and that is hte only reason that i havent gotten around to changing my diff oil yet...

hope this helps a little
-Ranger

Back