• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar roof tire carrier...

The tire height can be adjusted slightly. The spindle will move up and down a bit allowing the tire to rest flat on the roof. I would recommend a swingout vs the rooftop. A 30x9.5x15 is a bear to heave on and off and a giant windblock on the expressway.
Hope this helps.

I would rather have a swingout, but can't find a decent one to fit the factory bumper. The OEM one with the two hinges looks kind of weak to me, and I haven't seen the one with the single hinge.

I have a 33x10.5 on my Mopar roof carrier and I love it.
Sure, drive-through carwashes are a thing of the past, and it needs to come down to fit in the garage, but otherwise its great.
Yeah, I know people say it's like having a baby grand on the roof the way it changes the COG, but I have no issues.
HTH.

I will have to email them to you, as I cannot host.
Basically, the 3 'legs' attach to the factory rails that run from front to back, and use a c-shaped clamp to grab on underneath.
Very sturdy.
I would put a hole in the garage with the tire before it came off the roof.
In fact, I have.

nosajwp said:
I would rather have a swingout, but can't find a decent one to fit the factory bumper. The OEM one with the two hinges looks kind of weak to me, and I haven't seen the one with the single hinge.

Here http://www.4wheelsupply.com/cat.cgi?s=KJ70003&c=C# is a single hinge system, though quite expensive since you have to buy the rear bumper $600 then the tire swing another $300....to rich for my blood but I love the look of it.....perhaps I'll have to fab one based on this someday

natep1 said:
The tire height can be adjusted slightly. The spindle will move up and down a bit allowing the tire to rest flat on the roof.
this is incorrect.. the frame is an "X" design and 2 legs attatch to each side of the roof rack.. the tire rests ON the frame and does not touch the roof at all.. i have a 33x10.50 on top and i have pretty much gotten used to the higher COG and i dont feel it.. but its always on my mind when i make any kind of maneuver in my non-front-swaybar-having-POS.. i dont have any good pics of it either...

afjeep2082 said:
Here http://www.4wheelsupply.com/cat.cgi?s=KJ70003&c=C# is a single hinge system, though quite expensive since you have to buy the rear bumper $600 then the tire swing another $300....to rich for my blood but I love the look of it.....perhaps I'll have to fab one based on this someday

This is why I'm looking for a swingout that will work with the stock bumper. $900 just to put the spare out back is rediculous! There has to be a swingout other than the stock 2 hinge that will work with the stock bumper!

Guys with pics of the roof carrier, please email them to me!

kg4yvy at yahoo dot com

I'll try to get a picture of mine. If you ever want to readjust the platform on the screw post, let me advise you to place a fender washer with silicone sealer on the to of it. The thing has a reservoir at the top where water sits and totally freezes up the threads. Had to totally rebuild mine when I changed tire size and wheel offset.

I got one, and it works damn good, the spindle can be adjusted ALOT, so if you have a problem you can fit anything really just need to flip the wheel over for bs issues.

I bent my spindle, but i also bent a garage do in the process, damn opener not working right...

anyway pics

rausch15.jpg
thats a 32 spare

brian1.jpg

Keep an eye out on ebay. They come across every now and then. I actually was looking for a rear factory swingout but didnt like the idea of drilling holes in the side of my XJ. I found a used aftermarket swingout made by Valley on ebay for $80 that attaches to the rear bumper and existing taillight bolts. Works great.

I can never seem to find any good buys on eBay like that!

I am in the process of getting a Rack built for the roof but would halt the process if I could either find an old Mopar rack or some swing-out to fit the stock bumper. I don't care if I have to drill a hole or not - LOL!

Back