• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

earth day trail maintainance

mikeyl

NAXJA Forum User
hope everyone had a great turkey day! just some quick thoughts and questions regarding our jambo/ trail maintainance day in april. i read in 4 wheel drive and sport utility mag that they were asking for submissions from various clubs to put in the mag. there were a few special photo requirements and other things to make it magazine worhty but i can look further into those things closer. my questions are related to the actual maintainance stuff. i think it would be great to get an artical discussing the so-cal chapter in specific,and naxja in general in a possible artical. do we know for certain if we have the ranger buy-in yet for this event? (since i reckon most of the great tools used were from the forest service). i would like to start up some corespondence with the mag and let them know of our earth day work plans and club rides. let me know if this seems like a good plan and those who are in touch with the forest service regarding our adopted trail can also get back to me back channel ([email protected] , or [email protected]) 1st is my work addy, it's always on so i see stuff sooner)

thanks for the website bill. i've been halfheartedly looking for one of those since i took the 'trail boss' certification class from the forest service on the san juan trail off ortega hwy back in '89. every ranger i talked to just knew they had them and not where from. i guess i kinda lost interest and never thought to do a search for them!

Magazine coverage of the work will be a great addition, and something that other clubs have asked for. The problem is they offered after the fact, without direction of what makes a good photo. If you can get informationon the types of photos they want, or invite a photographer, it would be worth the effort.

As far as tools. We can borrow most of the tools we used on the last work day. We can also bring any tools from home.

The usual work tools used are a Pulaski/pick, McCloud/landscape rake, shovel, wrecking bar, and branch loppers. We can also use a chain saw if we need to clear brush or dangerous trees. I have most of these tolls (I need a McCloud & wrecking bar) and can bring extras.

The recommendation for staging the Jamboree off the forest is a good idea, as it eliminates the regulations that would apply if we staged on the forest. Staging off the forest means we meet and assemble for runs each morning in a location that is not on the forest property. We can camp on the forest, drive on the forest, split up to make different runs on the forest, meet for lunch on the forest, and even have an awards event on the forest, but we have to begin each day's agenda off the forest to avoid conflict with group permits and regulations.

Typical locations are the parking lot of the Big Bear Convention Center (what the Jeep Jamboree USA does, but they rent the center), Snow Summit or Big Bear Mountain parking lots (what other clubs do with permission), and the Vons/Rite-Aid parking lot (the other large lot in town that demands no permission).

What date during the event do we want to make the work day (so we can try to reserve Greg or another ranger in advance)?

Ed A. Stevens said:
What date during the event do we want to make the work day (so we can try to reserve Greg or another ranger in advance)?
According to what I have written in the calendar, the official work day would be Friday as that's EarthDay. So work Fri, kick back and relax Sat and Sun

As President of a mountain bike club, I have tons of both tools (McLeod's and Pulaski's), not to mention weed whips and loppers. I can supply them as needed for a good trail work event as long it doesn't conflict with a current mtb trail work calendar.

Lemme know.

Back channel: roadrash 714 at earthlink dot net.

Fill in the blanks.

Grant

T-bent and I will be running the trail a weekend or two in advance. We will report what needs to be done then.

Back