• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring piece between TB and TB Bellcrank

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
1990 4.0L AW4

Is it possible to replace this without buying a whole new TB? The dealer I go to seems to think so.

I took mine out a couple weeks ago and gave it some more resistance, and it seems to have fixed my high idle. It creeped up once since, but only once. I'm worried it's only a matter of time or that the next re-adjustment of the spring might break it.

If I do need a new TB, what is a good upgrade, with price in mind of course.

Here's the only pic online I could find 00XJ FSM. Goto the link and click on Throttle cable / page 22. It's the piece in the diagram between the bellcrank (#4) and the TB. I know this is a 00XJ but it's the same deal.

Thanks for any help guys.

I don't know whether you've investigated this on yours, but when I had a high idle that was influenced by pulling on the throttle linkage, it turned out to be rust on the pivot of the accelerator pedal, just enough that the throttle body couldn't always pull it back all the way. It was intermittent, and harder to trace than you might expect, since every time I fiddled with the engine it would, of course, go away, and it only affected the very last bit of travel. A really thorough lube of the pedal fixed it. Might be worth a look before you bend the spring again.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that pivot point. Based on the rust elsewhere on this XJ I'm sure it could use some cleaning up. Just to confirm....it's the pivot point on the accel pedal assembly, inside and against the floor board. Right?

If I do need a new TB, what is there out there have any of you guys upgraded to?

Thanks.

Back