• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Event?

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
OK...brought on by the Winterfest mess. I think we should have a additional "event" for the MWC in addition to Winterfest.

Where?
When?

Have at it.

Rev

After all the dialog from the Commission of Royalty, I am inclined to suggest officially changing the event name to "Midwest Fest" and leave the "Winterfest" to the crown holders of the Badlands.

I agree that the Winterfest should be a local (read: only Great Lakes vicinity residents) event and the Midwest Fest should be the national meet for the rest of us in the Midwest Chapter and that other insignificant entity called NAXJA .

Last edited:
Looking at other national events, it looks like April, May, and November would not be too close to other events. As for location, Disney, Natural Bridge, or Hot Springs works for me. Wasn't some mention made of a park in Land Between the Lakes. Anyone been there? I really liked Hot Springs, which has the added attraction of the city/national park nearby.

John, can you tell us more about Arkansas. Is there a web link? How many miles, hours? (From Chicago)

There was discussion at one time about getting together in the Spring and going to Hot Springs. A lot of us SE people would be interested but I would be up for all that have been suggested. As to the question about LBL its a great place but the HARD CORE group would be disappointed you can do most of it in a stocker...

lesslimited said:
Wasn't some mention made of a park in Land Between the Lakes. Anyone been there?

I recall a similar discussion at the brewing gathering the other week. Fred mentioned it. I'll ask him when he gets back from vacation.

Okie Terry said:
After all the dialog from the Commission of Royalty, I am inclined to suggest officially changing the event name to "Midwest Fest" and leave the "Winterfest" to the crown holders of the Badlands.

I agree that the Winterfest should be a local (read: only Great Lakes vicinity residents) event and the Midwest Fest should be the national meet for the rest of us in the Midwest Chapter and that other insignificant entity called NAXJA .

Cry a little louder, sombody in California might give a crap.

Kudzu said:
As to the question about LBL its a great place but the HARD CORE group would be disappointed you can do most of it in a stocker...

yep, been there. had fun. won't go back. if you think that Attica is a weak wheeling spot, go to LBL.

what's Hot Springs like?? I know nat bridge is cool.

Though I have not been to these areas, Natural Bridge, Hot Springs, and Disney would be candidates that I would like to see events scheduled for. It would be good if some "local" members and members familiar with these spots to volunteer for the planning and leg work.

Les

Fore Wheeler said:
ah, yea. who let OK in the Midwest anyhow?
I'm sorry that you don't approve, Dan.

Maybe you can pull some strings to remedy the situation.

I agree, that Oklahoma is too far awy from the funny talkers and hope someday there will be a Midsouth chapter. Until then, Ok. will be part of the MWC and I'll do what I can to make my voice heard in it.

Funny, my last post on this thread kinda makes me look like the ones I was making fun of in the Winterfest thread. Maybe I do belong in the MWC afterall.

Last edited:
OK, I guess we should rule out LBL, as it sounds relatively mild. We want a place with something for everyone, from stockers, to tubed-out former XJs. Looking at the Hot Springs park map, they do have a complete assortment, with plenty of 4-rated trails, portions of which I found quite challenging. There are not that many 5-rated trails - the one that I saw a part of looked to be about like Purgatory. They have about 1200 acres, and the terrain there reminded me of Paragon, but instead of the coarse granite or whatever that stuff was, a lot of the rock appeared to be like a smooth, slippery agate, which would probably make things much more challenging if wet. Another plus is the campground(alcohol allowed) right at the park.

So, I've seen a few hardcore pics from Disney and Natural Bridge, how about some more details from those that have wheeled these places? The Disney website does not seem to have much detail - is there a website for Nat. Bridge?

Beezil said:
My vote is attica.

yes, it should definitly be in attica.

Keep it up Beezil and we'll all turn your red dots green!

Les

How about we wait until August and go down to Houston? Since we freeze our ass off at Winterfest, why not bask in the heat and humidity?

HTH

Houston has its own former chapter... I'm up for anywhere but Attica.

Oh wait, Beezil suggested it, so it must be good. Attica, definitely!

I believe we should keep the Winterfest at the Badlands for some weekend in February. It is obviously meaningful to a lot of wheelers. Keep it called the Winterfest. I also believe we should keep March open for one of the other locations. I vote for Hot Springs Arkansas. Lets call it..... Early Springfest!

Back