• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle seals??????

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger side front axle seal is leaking. I just replace that U-joint and bearing on that side. I may have messed up that seal when installing the shaft. Anyone got a step by step on replacing those seals? I don't have a vacuum actuator or intermediate shaft, just a plain old Dana 30b.

You have to pull that hub and shaft again PLUS the drivers side, remove diff cover & diff. (keep the caps and bolts oriented so they go back in just as they came out)

Pull seal - in towards the now empty housing, and replace with new (drive it in 'straight') reinstall diff & caps, torque to ???lb-ft, 75 pops in my head, but that's a WAG

Might be a great time to refresh the drivers side UJ and seal....since you have it apart anyhow... :dunno:

Don't spare the anti-sieze on those hub mating surfaces or bolts, or you'll be really be bummed next time... salt air & all.

Replace cover, shaft/hub, refill with gear oil.

If it makes ya feel better, I did UJs & brakes on wifey's Jeep Saturday, (190k never been out hubs LOL) then did UJs on my spare axe today low miles but Spicer original 5-297x, paint & all POP/PYOW! had a 5# C-Clamp 10 feet in the air and 2 sockets got 15 seconds of hang time... Eye protection is good LOL but we needed body armor today. I scared my helper off :dunno: The passenger side came apart too easy...it was scared too I suppose.

If it's not leaking bad, drive like it is for a little while. I may just be a speck of dirt in the seal that will work loose.

Mine leaks ocasionally after reinstalling shafts but most of the time the leak stops after a week or so.

Thanks a lot. Will do this surgery here soon. I have replaced hubs and UJ's on both sides within 6 months and used anti-seize on it all so hopefully we are good to go. Let you know if any problems arise.

Back