• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear door stationary window replacement

poolspapro

NAXJA Forum User
Hey XJ lovers, What is involved in removing (replacing) this window? i have dropped the main rear window from its track... removed the top channel screw and the 2 torx screws from the lower window brace... Still cant get it out of there and don't want to break them either. this is my 87 XJ project truck. Also have a 93 and 94 XJ That I use for work. HELP me Please!!!!

Richard
www.poolspapro.com

The service manual calls for all sorts of stuff to come off, but in my experience, you should be able to slip the window downward out of the rubber gasket, once you've removed the metal support at the bottom. You might have to wiggle it around to get it to unstick from the gasket.

There is a pop rivet holding the rear window channel in place, you will see it when you remove the lower exterior metal trim off the window opening. There also a top and bottom bolt/screw on that track. The track it attached to the door at 3 places, the rivet is the tricky item.

To back out the torx screws on my 88 XJ I used a T27 on one side and at T30 on the other side. I mounted the bit in my cordless electric drill and set the clutch to a low setting and kept increasing it. The vibration action caused the torx bolts to come right out. I tried this AFTER I stripped out the first screw.

while you have it this far apart go to the dealer and buy a new divider bar and the gasket for front/top/rear track of the door. It not much more work and you will have done the hard part already.

Thanks Matthew & Martin, Got the window out and replaced the gaskets as well (wouldn't want to have to do it twice)!!! Thanks for the quick reply's Guys... Now to dig into the electrical system.

Richard

Back