• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body flex and shocks...

witty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i just bought a 91 jeep cherokee laredo a week ago and it runs great! But the jeep seems to have alot of body flex, and the molding inside creaks and groans alot, is that normal for a 91? it only has 109,000 miles on it......and also i need new shocks, whats the best shock for giving a nicer ride? thanks alot!...Chris.

Lift?

Do you have any lift or is it still stock. If it's stock the oem will give you the best "ride" but not the best on the trail. I found a little silicone spray helps with the trim squeek. As for flex... I'll let more of the experts voice their views.

Hi, my 91 cherokee is bone stock..i have been hearing the reflex shocks are pretty good, anyone use these? Silicone spray? i may have to try that to quite down all that damn moaning plastic!!

Hi Witty,

A week or so I posted a note asking about shocks for my Comanche, and both the Monroe Reflex and Doetsch Tech 3000s were recommended. The cheapest price I've found for the Reflex shocks is about $39 through Rockauto. The Doetsch shocks were quoted at around $30.

Hope this helps,

Erik
88 Comanche

you're going to get the creeking not matter what you do considering the XJ is unibody. I have to drive over 2 speed bumps a day and it creeks all the time even before it was liften. Nothing you can do besides frame stiffiners or a roll cage. I dont even know if that would totally remove the noises.
HTH. Billstiens is what my friend has on his, feels just like a tacoma I once owned (very nice).

I have a set of Monroe Reflex on my 88 XJ which I installled a couple of months ago. I love them. I installed the blue monroe matics 3 years ago, and only put 30,000 on that set.

The XJ rides more solid, I don't mean harsh. The suspension sucks up the bumps in the road but the passenger cabin feels like you are very solid. It feels very similar to my 01 Buick Le Sabre with the Grand Touring suspesion yet goes off road like it always has.

I took my XJ on a 1200 mile trip a week or two after I installed them. It was 500 miles one way. I was not as "beat up" after the ride. I was checking out our farm 80 acres and I need the XJ to ford some creeks to get to the land.

You should see an improvement in your ride with any shock you install but for the extra $40 I'd go with the Reflex.

Put on your long term project list these things, after I did these the ride was better and the XJ drove like it was on rails:
* Front control arm Bushings
* Front and rear sway bar busings
* Rear leaf spring and shackle busings

If you do the front end work you will think you have a new XJ. I also recommend a steering box brace, it takes out any movement due to pot holes or RR crossings. If you want to know more, just ask.

I am glad I did all the things listed, it has renewed my 88 XJ for another 15 years of service.

Hi, thanks for the help everyone..looks like i am going to go with the reflex shocks. My shocks must be shot cause this thing kinda bounces along like a big spring on uneven roads. As for the noises i guess i just have to realize that this thing is 12 years old and i just have to learn to live with the rattles! , guess my 99 grand cherokee kinda has me spoiled!!........Witty

Back