• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Dana axle question

dogchow

NAXJA Forum User
99 4x4 - How much play should there be when you rotate the front drive shaft from side to side? (4X4 not engaged). The rear has no play to speak of and all of the u-joints are good. Thanks, Bill

Which axle are you talking about.... a front Dana 30/44/50/60?

DorkAlert said:
Which axle are you talking about.... a front Dana 30/44/50/60?
:twak: since this is on an oem board and he's talking about a 99XJ then it is a 30.

How much play should there be when you rotate the front drive shaft from side to side?
As long as we're talking about rotational play and not side to side wobble, I think it's about 5* to 10* or so. There is a fair amount of play in it, so unless it's noisy or drives odd I wouldn't worry about it.

Well.. I wouldn't want to make any assumptions before I start handing out advice regardless of where it may be posted...

Sorry I was unclear, I had to leave and wrote the original message in a rush.
I have some shop time, but it was mostly on water-cooled VW's and front wheel drive Toyotas. My knowlege is pretty limited on 4x4 front ends and general drive train issues. My 99 XJ has a front Dana 30 / 3.73. I ran into alot of problems at about 100k miles during and after a rough run on Colorado trails this summer.

I have slowly replaced all of the defective parts and checked everything else that would wear out or break and it all seems solid.
I still have a shimmy in the front end at about 50-55 mph depending on torque, and there also seems to be a jerking from dead stop acceleration.

There are 2 things that are bothering me, the steering box has a little play in it, and the front driveline has rotational play when moving the driveshaft from side to side (4X4 not engaged). I am unsure if it originates from the transfer case or the front axle, but the rear axle has no play in it. Basicly, what amout of movement (if any) is acceptable? Is there somthing I may be missing? Every thing seems quite solid at this time.

I am about to hit the front shocks, they are due.
Thanks alot!

I´ve had diff´s, with a lot of play, as long as they weren´t noisey I didn´t pay much attention. As long as the pinion bearing was tight and the carrier bearings were tight.
My standard test for the front diff, is to pop the cover and with a pry bar to try and lift the carrier, to check for loose carrier bearings. Grab the pinion yoke and shake it up and down, should be very little (no) play.
Only way to really test/check where the play is coming from is to hold the ring gear solid (clamp) and check the play between the pinion and the ring gear. Kind of irrelevant though, it can get pretty darned loose with no ill affects. And the play from the hub to the clamped ring gear, both ends to the middle.
Play could be in the spider gears, have seen some sets pretty worn, along with the side gear thrust washers. If the ends of the spider gears appear rounded or the gears are discolored, I´d think about a new set.
Axle spline play or even axle u-joint play.

Back