• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lugnut and bolt replacement

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
How do I replace the lugnut and bolt on the rear axle? I stripped a lugnut, and also mangled up the threads on the bolt sticking out of the rear drum. Someone suggested I get replacements at a dealership, but what are the steps after that? thanks.

The "bolt" is called a stud. You can get a replacement at a dealer, but it'll be cheaper at Pep Boys or NAPA. The part that goes through the flange of the hub is splined. It's a press fit. Beat the old one out with a hammer. Push the new one in, put a couple of large 1/2" washers on it (oiled or greased), flip over a lug nut so the flat end faces the washers, put it on and tighten to draw the spline section into the hub.

I prefer not to use an impact gun. It's too easy to use too much torque.

Eagle said:
It's too easy to use too much torque.

Yup, I would NOT use a impact, unless set on a very low torque... When you do use a impact it has a much greater chance of stripping out the splines on the flange...

Will.

I don't mean to Hijack, but I was just thinking.... Could you use something like a harbour frieght ball joint press to push out the stud while still on the vehicle?

The replacement studs that i installed were purchased at "Milles" auto parts. very cheap. I used the washer/nut install method. let me just say that after cranking in 10 of them it was a good workout. grease the washers and nut as well as the splines to make it easier. oh, the BFH works great for removing them. just dont hit TOO hard.

Does the drum just come apart? I don't have a mental image of how it'll come apart, so hopefully it's intuitive when I start looking for what to take off...

Whack the drum with a hammer if it sticks. It just slides off over the studs. There should be some friction when you pull it. You might need to rotate the axle to position the stud in a space to come out, so be sure to chock your front wheels when you jack it up.

Also depending on wear your rear drums might have a lip on them where the brake shoes have worn into to the drum. If so you may need to back the adjuster off an 1/8inch to retract the shoes a bit. If the lip is big when you get them off also look at the shoes, if they are worn then slap on a new pair and either have the drums turned or pickup a new set... I also always use new hardware when doing this if the stuff thats in there is rusted badly, especially the adjuster...

Almost forgot, if they have never been off they may still have those retainers on the studs, I just cut them off with a pair of dykes, dikes, sidecutters...

Beached Bones said:
I don't mean to Hijack, but I was just thinking.... Could you use something like a harbour frieght ball joint press to push out the stud while still on the vehicle?

Yes, works great. I did this when replacing a front wheel stud.

That is what I have always done it. One good whack with a BFH and it was history.

Back