• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission and diff fluid change

whosyourdaddy?

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done draining and filling the aw4 without filter change. :) it only took 3 quarts to fill to exactly max level, hot in nuetral. sound about right? i know it is supposed to take 4 quarts.

rear diff only took 4 pints and the owners manual says 5. i'm gonna drive it for a while and check the levels again, just wanted some input to see if this sounds normal.

tia :)

Sound's relativly normal... Drive for a mile or so to let the ATF circulate thorough all passages, It may be down a bit... I would not be as concerned with the rear diff - just double check it when you get a chance.... I always just fill mine till they overflow from then fill plug...

Will.

The axles only take the full amount if you get all the lube out of the axle tubes and off the axles themselves. However if you do get all the lube out of the tubes, refill till it overflows then drive it for a few miles the lube will disperse out to the tubes and it will take a some more...

thanks guys. i plan on checking the trans fluid today cuz i drove a couple miles to get it circulated. i followed advice on here to spray out the pumpkins with brake clean first, so i got all of the fluid out of the pumpkin. waited for it to dry completely. then filled it up. my buddy who works on deisel stuff and buses was like, "you did what, oh man don't spray it with brake clean!" too late now and im sure it will be fine. 99.9 percent of the brake clean was dry so i'm sure it won't mess with the new gear oil, which btw cost 9.25 at the dodge dealer. MOPAR baby! they sure know how to charge.

whosyourdaddy? said:
my buddy who works on deisel stuff and buses was like, "you did what, oh man don't spray it with brake clean!" which btw cost 9.25 at the dodge dealer. MOPAR baby!

Sounds lilke your friend doesn't have a clue about differentials. Spraying it out with brake cleaner is a very good idea, and it dries leaving no residue. That's what it's designed to do, since you don't want any residue left on your brakes. You got screwed on the gear oil...that money would have been much better spent on something like Amsoil or even Mobile 1 gear oil.

You'll want to drive around a little bit, and make sure to manually shift through all the ranges so you get full circulation through the valve body and control passages in the case. "Service Fill" is supposed to be four quarts, but it's possible that you didn't get a full drain when you pulled the plug - I think the pan will hold about a pint or so after you pull the plug and let it drain.

And, you're not going to harm anything in the axle with brake cleaner or carburettor solvent - just take a moment to pour gear lube over everything before you put the cover back on as a sort of "pre-lube" - you could also use grease or engine assembly lube - the idea is to have something on the moving parts until the gear oil gets there. So, spray away! I do it all the time...

5-90

Back